Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 70

Thread: House Approves Oil Exports Despite Veto Threat

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very interesting indeed.

    The first link says "page not found"

    The second leads to a study that is interesting, but ultimately failed to be accurate.
    (had it been accurate, gasoline prices would have been higher all through 2014)
    Would you provide more detail, please. I'm not following your train of thought.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE corner of the Ozark Redoubt
    Posts
    19,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    16
    How can you not be following my train of thought.
    You addressed it in posting #50.

    I agree with you that it would be good to increase our refinery capacity,
    but until we address the over-regulation that prevents more refineries
    from being built, that won't happen.

    Also keep in mind, that it won't happen until there is a greater demand
    for gasoline because, until then, it won't be economically feasible to refine
    more crude than we already are refining.
    (As is shown in the portion of the study that I pasted into post #49)
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with you that it would be good to increase our refinery capacity,
    but until we address the over-regulation that prevents more refineries
    from being built, that won't happen.
    Over-regulation doesn't prevent more refineriies from being built; profit margins do.

    Business gravitates toward money and with the discounted price on American crude,
    the American refineries are making much higher margins. Allowing the ban on exports to remain in place encourages refineries to invest in more capacity, because they have the profits to finance it and because they are greedy enough to want even more profits. Business will do anything to make money and if business believes the ban will continue they will invest whatever it takes to make more money.

    New capacity will be built to higher enviromental stardards. So we will also have "cleaner" refining.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also keep in mind, that it won't happen until there is a greater demand
    for gasoline because, until then, it won't be economically feasible to refine
    more crude than we already are refining.
    (As is shown in the portion of the study that I pasted into post #49)
    Lower energy prices will ingnite American industry. As an example look to the Airlines. The Airlines without "hedging contracts" are making enormous profits because they are in a position to take advantage of lower fuel pricing (yes I know that they use a different type of fuel but not all U.S. crude is sweet). They are investing in new airplanes and lowering airfares. That in turn helps airline manufactures make more profit which helps aluminum producers which helps miners.........etc. Lower fares help consumers, making it cheaper to fly and more frequent fliers help hotels, restrants, tourist attractions.......etc. Price and availibility ignite demand. "If you build it they will come"

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Harker Heights
    Posts
    23,665
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regulation has made it so oppressively expensive to make refining profitable that no one is willing to invest the money to build new facilities. It is the same for nuclear power plants.

    And the Obama administration knows this. It is effectively using its regulatory agencies to enact regulatory practices that do not have the sanction of lawmakers in the first place. He can literally have his agencies come in and put the silliest of requirements on oil producers and refiners, leaving them no choice but to stick with grandfathered facilities that they already have available.

    EPA has made some really harsh moves towards the oil industry in the past few years. I expect that if the president thought he could get away with it, he would shut down existing refineries in an attempt to push us into alternative green energy sources.

    Don't think it still isn't a possibility, as he still has a year left in which to do the maximum amount of damage to the free enterprise system before he leaves office. And we have already seen he has no respect for the constitution when he wants something, and is not afraid to use what tools he has to complete his agenda.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

  5. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
  6. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hymesa Estates, Killeen
    Posts
    28,439
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Over-regulation doesn't prevent more refineriies from being built; profit margins do.
    yes, but......that's kind of facetious, maybe even sly, cunning or clever. Why are the profit margins so slim? imo the Primary reason is "over-regulation" and politically inspired interference....ditto for the coal and nuclear efforts. The leftists or progressives in this Nation are determined to wreck our nuclear and coal energy production....mac
    Last edited by mac; October 16th, 2015 at 11:48 AM.

  7. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    165
    Post Thanks / Like

  8. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE corner of the Ozark Redoubt
    Posts
    19,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Over-regulation doesn't prevent more refineriies from being built; profit margins do.
    Business gravitates toward money and with the discounted price on American crude,
    the American refineries are making much higher margins. ...
    New capacity will be built to higher enviromental stardards. So we will also have "cleaner" refining.
    Wow, quite naive, and quite sure of yourself too.
    Sure enough you won't listen to reason.

    Lower energy prices will ingnite American industry. As an example look to the Airlines. The Airlines without "hedging contracts" are making enormous profits because they are in a position to take advantage of lower fuel pricing (yes I know that they use a different type of fuel but not all U.S. crude is sweet). They are investing in new airplanes and lowering airfares. That in turn helps airline manufactures make more profit which helps aluminum producers which helps miners.........etc. Lower fares help consumers, making it cheaper to fly and more frequent fliers help hotels, restrants, tourist attractions.......etc. Price and availibility ignite demand. "If you build it they will come"
    So sure of yourself that you reach for strawman arguments about things that do not correlate.

    And maybe, if you want to impress me with your economics prowess,
    you might cite a study that isn't out of date.
    Look at the subtitle:
    The Case for a Strong Domestic Refining Industry - April 2011
    This isn't 2011. Not by a long shot.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

  9. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, quite naive, and quite sure of yourself too.
    Sure enough you won't listen to reason.


    So sure of yourself that you reach for strawman arguments about things that do not correlate.

    And maybe, if you want to impress me with your economics prowess,
    you might cite a study that isn't out of date.
    Look at the subtitle:
    The Case for a Strong Domestic Refining Industry - April 2011
    This isn't 2011. Not by a long shot.
    Sorry I'm just researching and testing my theories.

    I thought you might have some interesting to add.... Wrong again, but Iím just naive like that.

  10. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE corner of the Ozark Redoubt
    Posts
    19,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry I'm just researching and testing my theories.

    I thought you might have some interesting to add.... Wrong again, but I’m just naive like that.
    I have told you the truth, sorry if you refuse to believe it.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

  11. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Harker Heights
    Posts
    23,665
    Post Thanks / Like
    The purpose of overregulation IS to make the cost of building new refineries so prohibitive that any smart investor wouldn't even try.

    A purely political move to get votes from the Eco snobs.... Regulations can be useful if designed to provide a safe working environment, and to minimize the effects on the ecology... But when they are used as a weapon to discourage industry, we all lose. Jobs, fiscal security, etc. are the victims of misguided attempts to push us into alternative energy sources. That sort of thing will eventually happen in its own time. Fossil fuels will not last forever... Just an awful long time.

    And of course, no smart investor is going to put up money for something that may be regulated out of existence tomorrow.

    Far as I am concerned, whatever regulations the PC crowd want to introduce on America is the just reward for voting the regulation regime into power in the first place. So if the only cars we can buy are gutless putt putts, and gas costs $5 a gallon, we have no one to blame but those who voted that administration into office. Reap what ye sew and all that.

    As I have said... We are our own worst enemy.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

  12. Likes CenTexDave, Mestral, just2cents liked this post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •