Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Chicken or the Egg

Post Thanks / Like

The Chicken or the Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course they're fresh. I've got six hens and I get an average of four eggs a day. Three young hens should be laying by the end of the year.

Fiorina is smart. I wish she would have made the cut for prime time. But she probably will next time as Cruz fizzles.
    Question, do you have to have a rooster with the hens to get eggs?
    Personal attacks are an admission of intellectual bankruptcy

2. LOL CenTexDave, Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Laura, you don't need a rooster with the hens to get eggs. However, if you desire baby chicks, a rooster is necessary.

4. Likes Grammar Rules, Mr. Lucky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdfriend View Post
    Laura, you don't need a rooster with the hens to get eggs. However, if you desire baby chicks, a rooster is necessary.
    Now we are reduced to explaining the birds and the bees to LauraA.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    When is ignoring another member not ignoring her? When you comment on others' messages to her.
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

7. LOL Mestral LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    When is ignoring another member not ignoring her? When you comment on others' messages to her.
    what? is this one of those "read it from the backwards" type things?....mac

9. LOL Mestral, Night Owl, Grammar Rules, just2cents LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just felt like having a little fun with the mentally incompetent and integrity deficient people today.

11. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by birdfriend View Post
    Thank you, that is interesting. So the hen has the eggs which she just lays. If no one picks them up, then they just never become chicks, only rotten eggs? However, if you have a rooster and I am assuming they have some sort of chicken sex, then you will get an egg that turns into a chick. How do you tell the difference when you are gathering eggs?
    Personal attacks are an admission of intellectual bankruptcy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Question, do you have to have a rooster with the hens to get eggs?
    I was meaning to address this over the weekend, but was busy, then other stuff came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    Now we are reduced to explaining the birds and the bees to LauraA.
    I don't fault people for not knowing this. I didn't know it until I read a book and online forums on how to raise chickens in the backyard when I bought my first four chickens ten years ago.

Our Priest was at the house a couple months ago and he was surprised that we didn't need roosters for the hens to lay eggs and he is very intelligent, but being from the city (Pittsburgh), he had no need to know.

If you have roosters, egg production will decrease since they are being chased around all day. We don't plan to hatch our own, so we don't want roosters. I buy the chicks from Cove feed or D&D feed.

The three young ones are Golden Penciled Hamburgs.

Kind of a different breed, but beautiful in color. They are smaller, and are very aware of predators, but supposedly decent egg producers. 200-225 white eggs per year.

I think I have three production reds, they lay around 300 brown eggs per year.

Two buff Orpingtons, they lay 200-280 brown eggs per year.

And one Brown Leghorn, had two, but one got killed by a predator one night. She is the only survivor of the slaughter when I lost a total of seven last year. They used to sleep on top of the old coop, and either a raccoon or a fox got to them. She lays 220-300 white eggs per year. But she is getting older, so her production is dropping a bit.

As you can tell, my chickens are like my pets that produce great tasting food and control the bug population. They really aren't much trouble, and are fun to watch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GoldHamH.jpg   buff-orpington_04.jpg   acec39bc28176f1a78964ebbe5adc18d.image.220x330.jpg   2poKw25.jpg  

14. Thanks LauraA thanked this post
    Likes birdfriend, Grammar Rules, Imagine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Thank you, that is interesting. So the hen has the eggs which she just lays. If no one picks them up, then they just never become chicks, only rotten eggs? However, if you have a rooster and I am assuming they have some sort of chicken sex, then you will get an egg that turns into a chick. How do you tell the difference when you are gathering eggs?
    you hold it up to a light (called a candler) and you can tell if egg has been fertilized or not......

or you can see the "blood clot" in the egg if the egg lands right in the skillet....mac

16. Likes birdfriend, Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't fault people for not knowing this. I didn't know it until I read a book and online forums on how to raise chickens
    in the backyard when I bought my first four chickens ten years ago.
    Our Priest was at the house a couple months ago and he was surprised that we didn't need roosters for the hens to lay eggs and he is very intelligent, but being from the city (Pittsburgh), he had no need to know.
    You are correct, and it wasn't really fair, but I thought the joke was funny

If you have roosters, egg production will decrease since they are being chased around all day.
    The trade off, as I understand it, is the rooster will provide protection against certain predatory birds
    (or maybe it was parasitic birds, cukoos and cowbirds for example) since the rooster is territorial by nature.
    I know a guy with about 50 hens and one rooster, and that is why he has the rooster.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast