Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Chicken or the Egg

Post Thanks / Like
    There are plenty of fire ants in SE Alabama but I have not had any in my yard yet. I don't do anything to keep them at bay, either.
    Now, sugar ants, that's a different story. Plenty of those. But, they don't bite, so I tolerate them for the most part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mac, if one is missing a (see post 14 above) due to service (dis)connection, and if that is the only injury, what, if any percentage of disability can be awarded by the VA? Just wondering. Do they consider it the same as a leg or arm?
    I am not a VA rater but what I see in 38 CFR is below. (of course one can also get paid for scars and such also)

38 CFR Book C, Schedule for Rating Disabilities

7520 Penis, removal of half or more 30%

1Review for entitlement to special monthly compensation under ยง3.350 of this chapter.

Note: In cases of the removal of one testis as the result of a service-incurred injury or disease, other than an undescended or congenitally undeveloped testis, with the absence or nonfunctioning of the other testis unrelated to service, an evaluation of 30 percent will be assigned for the service-connected testicular loss. Testis, undescended, or congenitally undeveloped is not a ratable disability.
    Last edited by just2cents; August 12th, 2015 at 11:36 PM.

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    The wife should have a claim for collateral loss of service.
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

4. Likes Mestral liked this post
    LOL cnjbond, CenTexDave, Mestral, LauraA, gnatsum LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    The wife should have a claim for collateral loss of service.
    Maybe the VA will issue a vibrator?
    Of course my wife said she would be happy with just half of mine!!

6. LOL CenTexDave, Mestral LOL'd at this post
    Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    Half of a vibrator?
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I was meaning to address this over the weekend, but was busy, then other stuff came up.

I don't fault people for not knowing this. I didn't know it until I read a book and online forums on how to raise chickens in the backyard when I bought my first four chickens ten years ago.

Our Priest was at the house a couple months ago and he was surprised that we didn't need roosters for the hens to lay eggs and he is very intelligent, but being from the city (Pittsburgh), he had no need to know.

If you have roosters, egg production will decrease since they are being chased around all day. We don't plan to hatch our own, so we don't want roosters. I buy the chicks from Cove feed or D&D feed.

The three young ones are Golden Penciled Hamburgs.

Kind of a different breed, but beautiful in color. They are smaller, and are very aware of predators, but supposedly decent egg producers. 200-225 white eggs per year.

I think I have three production reds, they lay around 300 brown eggs per year.

Two buff Orpingtons, they lay 200-280 brown eggs per year.

And one Brown Leghorn, had two, but one got killed by a predator one night. She is the only survivor of the slaughter when I lost a total of seven last year. They used to sleep on top of the old coop, and either a raccoon or a fox got to them. She lays 220-300 white eggs per year. But she is getting older, so her production is dropping a bit.

As you can tell, my chickens are like my pets that produce great tasting food and control the bug population. They really aren't much trouble, and
    Is your property inside city limits? Looks interesting.
    Last edited by Rick; August 13th, 2015 at 12:59 PM. Reason: To fix the quote

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No, we have a small 20 acre "ranch" on Oakalla Rd, south of Killeen. My wife boards horses and boards one for someone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    Half of a vibrator?
    saves on batteries.

11. LOL Grammar Rules, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    There are plenty of fire ants in SE Alabama but I have not had any in my yard yet. I don't do anything to keep them at bay, either.
    Now, sugar ants, that's a different story. Plenty of those. But, they don't bite, so I tolerate them for the most part.
    If your sugar ants are the Red variety (actually orange) they are the reason you don't have fire ants. When I was
    in AL (15 years ago) the only variety of Fire Ants I saw there were the less aggressive varieties. Which makes sense,
    the environment there is a little more "ant friendly" that it is here (In 2011, it got so dry we didn't have any fire ants
    in many areas).

Out on the firing range, the large orange "Red Ant" is the only non "fire" ant we still have any of. The rest are gone.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    If your sugar ants are the Red variety (actually orange) they are the reason you don't have fire ants. When I was
    in AL (15 years ago) the only variety of Fire Ants I saw there were the less aggressive varieties. Which makes sense,
    the environment there is a little more "ant friendly" that it is here (In 2011, it got so dry we didn't have any fire ants
    in many areas).

Out on the firing range, the large orange "Red Ant" is the only non "fire" ant we still have any of. The rest are gone.
    the wife's kitchen is being inundated this year with pissants (prob'ly what you all call honey ants but in Coleman County, they're called pissants"......mac

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast