Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics 2016 in Rio

Post Thanks / Like

Summer Olympics 2016 in Rio

If it was me, I wouldn't dare to compete in any fresh water sports.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/...id=ansnewsap11

Just a short excerpt.

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) -- Athletes in next year's Summer Olympics here will be swimming and boating in waters so contaminated with human feces that they risk becoming violently ill and unable to compete in the games, an Associated Press investigation has found.An AP analysis of water quality revealed dangerously high levels of viruses and bacteria from human sewage in Olympic and Paralympic venues -- results that alarmed international experts and dismayed competitors training in Rio, some of whom have already fallen ill with fevers, vomiting and diarrhea.
    It is the first independent comprehensive testing for both viruses and bacteria at the Olympic sites.
    Brazilian officials have assured that the water will be safe for the Olympic athletes and the medical director of the International Olympic Committee said all was on track for providing safe competing venues. But neither the government nor the IOC tests for viruses, relying on bacteria testing only.
    Extreme water pollution is common in Brazil, where the majority of sewage is not treated. Raw waste runs through open-air ditches to streams and rivers that feed the Olympic water sites.
    As a result, Olympic athletes are almost certain to come into contact with disease-causing viruses that in some tests measured up to 1.7 million times the level of what would be considered hazardous on a Southern California beach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Disgusting! Why didn't they take this into consideration when they awarded Rio the summer games? Glad I live in the United States!

3. Thanks CenTexDave, SamBrown thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The day is coming when no country or city will even try to get the olympic games. We had no American City trying to get this one. Baltimore or Boston, forget which one, initially tried to get this one but withdrew their application......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the article, Rio promised to clean it up. The IOC is so corrupt when awarding it to a city. They swear it's safe for our athletes.

It's no wonder many cities and countries bow out of being selected. Huge costs and while prestigious not worth it. I would advocate giving it to cities that have already hosted Olympics. They just need to spruce the existing venues up a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The day is coming when no country or city will even try to get the olympic games. We had no American City trying to get this one. Baltimore or Boston, forget which one, initially tried to get this one but withdrew their application......mac
    It was Boston and I believe it was for the next one in 2020.

7. Thanks xzochye thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now the IOC is looking at LA to replace Boston. The US needs to tell the IOC no thanks.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    The city of boston decided to not make is taxpayers foot the bill for gettting the city ready for the olympics and withdrew thier application. Smart move. The olympics is a joke, especially when the main draw in the summer olympics has been womens beach volleyball for the last 3 olympics. Noone watches until then, go figure.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

10. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watch whatever interests me - gymnastics, track, basketball, soccer (women's , swimming, and more. Softball needs to be reinstalled.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to enjoy watching the Olympics and dream of how terrific it must be to be that athletically gifted, but I haven't really enjoyed them much for some time. The Olympics has lost its idealism and now is primarily politically, moneytarily [if that's even a word, which I doubt] commercially, semi-professional, "let's see how much money we can get" motivated.

13. Likes Night Owl, SamBrown liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The IOC needs to build a complex where the games are held every two years. They have enough money and the politics would be out of it. They also need to go back to the initial intent of the games. I watch some of the games but not much. To much under the table dealings and if they don't do something the games will cease to exist.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

15. Likes Imagine liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast