Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Summer Olympics 2016 in Rio

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by siamcat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it was me, I wouldn't dare to compete in any fresh water sports.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/...id=ansnewsap11
    Just a short excerpt.
    Sorry, but all I could think of when I read this is: gives a whole different meaning to 'blame it on Rio.'
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also read an article in it in USA Today. They are having some competitions starting this weekend and some next week in the named locations ..... swimming, canoeing etc.. The article also stated that athletes who have had activities in these locations have been suffering from fevers, diarrhea, and other filth-related afflictions.
    How exactly is Rio planning on "cleaning this mess up"??? Sanitizing the entire city/locations? From what I gathered, the sewer system there is still way behind the curve, with raw sewage running in open channels in many places and then emptying into bodies of water.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

3. Likes siamcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I used to enjoy watching the Olympics and dream of how terrific it must be to be that athletically gifted, but I haven't really enjoyed them much for some time. The Olympics has lost its idealism and now is primarily politically, moneytarily [if that's even a word, which I doubt] commercially, semi-professional, "let's see how much money we can get" motivated.
    I still enjoy watching. Love the opening ceremonies and the lone athlete from some country proudly marching alone with his/her flag still makes me cry. I root for the under dog and Americans.

You're right it's not the same anymore and the IOC fosters too much corruption and the judged events are always biased. I wish they would clean it up again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBrown View Post
    I also read an article in it in USA Today. They are having some competitions starting this weekend and some next week in the named locations ..... swimming, canoeing etc.. The article also stated that athletes who have had activities in these locations have been suffering from fevers, diarrhea, and other filth-related afflictions.
    How exactly is Rio planning on "cleaning this mess up"??? Sanitizing the entire city/locations? From what I gathered, the sewer system there is still way behind the curve, with raw sewage running in open channels in many places and then emptying into bodies of water.
    They're not. Even if the magically updated their sewage system overnight; some of those viruses live on for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the winter Olympics was given to the Chinese too... Again. Just what we need... let all the folks soak up some good old Beijing smog before hitting the slopes.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    After Brazil's great mess, be sure to sit back and enjoy the Winter Olympics in Beijing in 2022.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2