Thread: Diabetic Shoes

Post Thanks / Like

Diabetic Shoes

I just got a prescription for diabetic shoes. I have Medicare and Tricare for Life insurance.

I am trying to find a firm that accepts this type of insurance for diabetic shoes. Buying these shoes out of pocket costs around eight hundred dollars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by madasheck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just got a prescription for diabetic shoes. I have Medicare and Tricare for Life insurance.

I am trying to find a firm that accepts this type of insurance for diabetic shoes. Buying these shoes out of pocket costs around eight hundred dollars.
    arches in temple....but, on the way, stop in at ledgers foot and ankle there in the seton pavilion. they have a display of prosthetic shoes on display there and prob'ly sell them. they're right there on the first floor.....

in any case, you can get 'em for a hell of a lot less than 800 bucks on the internet...just go to amazon and look for orthopaedic shoes.....

or just go to the VA and get 'em for free! if you're a diabetic and was in RVN, it's considered SC......mac
    Last edited by mac; July 24th, 2015 at 11:39 AM.

3. Likes Grammar Rules, just2cents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I would call the insurances and see if they can give you a list of places to get them that they cover. I doubt a regular store does it.

5. Likes Mestral liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen shoes with holes in their soles, their tongues hanging out, but I have never ever seen a diabetic shoe, a shoe with diabetes.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

7. LOL Night Owl, siamcat, just2cents, fchafey, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all for the info on my inquiry.

I emailed Arches after business hours last Friday. On Saturday morning, I received a reply that they don't accept my insurance, but they told me that GG Prosthetics in Killeen did. I have been to GG this week and the have already ordered me a pair of diabetic shoes.

Getting shoes from the VA is a lost cause IMO. I have been service connected for diabetes for over 20 years and have had two civilian podiatrists write prescriptions for this type of shoe, but it seems the VA is tight on funds and they wont issue me a pair.

Since I have other means to get health care, I will only use the VA to get care for my eyes and hearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all for the info on my inquiry.

I emailed Arches after business hours last Friday. On Saturday morning, I received a reply that they don't accept my insurance, but they told me that GG Prosthetics in Killeen did. I have been to GG this week and the have already ordered me a pair of diabetic shoes.

Getting shoes from the VA is a lost cause IMO. I have been service connected for diabetes for over 20 years and have had two civilian podiatrists write prescriptions for this type of shoe, but it seems the VA is tight on funds and they wont issue me a pair.

Since I have other means to get health care, I will only use the VA to get care for my eyes and hearing.
    that's interesting. I'm on my 4th pair of "diabetic shoes" from the VA in Temple. They're not very sexy but they sure are comfortable. Why would VA honor a prescription from a civilian for diabetic shoes?.....why would anyone even take a non VA prescription to the VA. I'm sorry but that just don't make a lick of sense to me. If you want the VA to provide them, see a VA Doc.....in fact, go see your VA Primary Provider, tell him your problem and ask him to refer you to the podiatrist. He'll do that and in no time at all you'll have your shoes, your nails clipped and a whole host of other good stuff....mac

10. Thanks just2cents thanked this post
    Likes just2cents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked Zappos? I am not sure exactly what you need, but prior to have my ankle reconstructed the only shoes I could wear were a new balance brand ($160) that also met the qualifications for medicare.

I realize it is a little late now, but maybe it will help for the future. There were a couple of models in about three colors of the New Balance sneaker.
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds