Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Turn On Fox 44

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True. And none of the big leaguers could hit real good fast pitch softball pitching.
    Let me comment further on that.
    I remember watching Rosie Black (she had a touring softball team named The Queen and Her Court).
    For ABC's Wide World of Sports or some other nonsense sports show in the early 70's she faced three major leaguers. Struck all three out on 9 pitches and none of them put their bat on any of
    the pitches. I don't recall all the players who faced her, but do remember one was Paul Blair, CF for the Orioles, who hit a HR against the Dodgers and won game 3 in the 1966 World Series.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    The top women softball players can typically pitch a ball underhand in the high 60's to low 70's (in MPH). Some men have been clocked in high 70's, to my knowledge, no one has ever broken 80mph.

A baseball is pitched from 60' 6". A softball is pitched from 46'. The reaction time needed to hit a baseball traveling at 100mph from 60' 6" is roughly equivalent to that of a softball in the low-mid 70's being pitched from 46'.
    Last edited by Ludwig; July 1st, 2015 at 6:20 PM.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

3. Thanks CenTexDave, Night Owl thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My late wife, in her younger years, could fire it 72 mph. She was Guamanian and for years pitched for the Guam Bombers. First saw her in Hawaii in a tournament. She was about unhittable.
    Best man fast pitch pitcher I ever saw was an old guy named Tim Arnold. A professional SP4. lol Was at Schofield Barracks, HI in 1972 and this guy just arrived. The Army team was in Japan playing
    for the US Army Championship so Schofield had to put together an "all-star" team of players from the unit leagues. A lot of talent there, but no real high class pitcher like the AF teams had. So along comes
    this old guy who heard we needed a pitcher. His right upper arm was bigger than my thighs. I don't know what his fastball topped out at, but his riser was the most unbelievable thing I ever saw. He'd throw it
    and after leaving his hand would rise to about 15 feet in the air, then drop down and cross the plate around the batter's knees. Threw two perfect games during that 4th of July tournament at Wheeler AFB. He lost
    the championship game to Wheeler, 1-0. His riser wasn't working because of high humidity and some batter managed to lift a lazy fly all over the fence. All the power came from his pitch. He tosses a one hitterand lost.
    Of course Wheeler's pitcher, a guy named Carl Nay, was faster. We got two hits.
    Last edited by CenTexDave; July 1st, 2015 at 6:36 PM.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

5. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    USA Men's team playing an international friendly against Guatemala as a warm up for the Gold Cup.
    USA blowing them out, 4-0. On Fox Sports 1.

7. Likes gvls78 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    USA Men's team playing an international friendly against Guatemala as a warm up for the Gold Cup.
    USA blowing them out, 4-0. On Fox Sports 1.
    Would rather watch paint dry.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew you wouldn't watch.

10. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    England and Germany are into the first OT tied 0-0. Been a very physical game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. England wins, 1-0, in extra time on a penalty kick.
    First time in 21 attempts they have beaten the frauleins.
    This game was rough. The ref was a North Korean, and she had already voiced her displeasure about not being chosen for the final match, so I
    guess she decided to ignore many questionable fouls. She finally called a penalty on Germany in the box and the Brit buried the penalty kick.
    The refereeing in this WWC has been really crappy.
    Now for the big one - Sunday at 6PM, on FOX. USA vs Japan. We owe them a little payback from 2011.
    I'm sure Owl will be tuned in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. England wins, 1-0, in extra time on a penalty kick.
    First time in 21 attempts they have beaten the frauleins.
    This game was rough. The ref was a North Korean, and she had already voiced her displeasure about not being chosen for the final match, so I
    guess she decided to ignore many questionable fouls. She finally called a penalty on Germany in the box and the Brit buried the penalty kick.
    The refereeing in this WWC has been really crappy.
    Now for the big one - Sunday at 6PM, on FOX. USA vs Japan. We owe them a little payback from 2011.
    I'm sure Owl will be tuned in.
    i agree with you on the refereeing but my girls tell me that they're just letting "the girls be girls" and try ing their best to not become part of the game.......but today's show may have even convinced them otherwise. I heard quite a bit of kibitzing about it in the front room and i was all the way out on the back porch.......mac

14. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    5-2, USA. 'nuff said.

16. Thanks siamcat thanked this post
    Likes 100,000plus+1 liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast