Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dog Urine Spots in the yard

Post Thanks / Like

Dog Urine Spots in the yard

I wasn't sure whether to post this in pets or in yard/gardening, but Rick can certainly move it if I guessed wrongly.

Any tricks to getting the grass to come back from a "burned" spot in the yard? WE have a female dog and I suspect it is her urine. And "spot" is disingenuous - it's a larger area. We have a limited area where she can go in the winter and so we get lots of yellow snow, which inevitably melts.

Interestingly, the area around it is the most lush in the neighborhood. I water, and we've had decent rain. While I was laid up and non-mobile, the family was NOT good about picking up the poo as it landed (so to speak) so we had a whole winter's worth of poo that we had to pick up and collect, which I think accounts for some of the lush since it is downhill of the burned spots.

Note: The fence is brand new (as in erected yesterday) because we are tired of the visitors to the adjacent playground messing with our raised garden and messing around within a couple of feet from our window. We actually walk the dogs three times a day (1 mile-ish each walk) during the summer.

Any tips other than to reseed? Is there a magic fertilizer (keep in mind I am gardening impaired) It's on post and the maintenance people come mow every Monday, so they'll just ruin any seeding project unless it was their idea. I've talked with them before and the maintenance people and the housing people do not seem to be on the same communication wavelength.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Yard spots.jpg  
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like
    I greatly doubt that the problem you pictured is caused by dog urine.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

3. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to try and get a few other pix when I get back from Saturday errands. Grass is a mess here. I went to get seed last year and was given a cup (like, borrow-a-cup-of-sugar-cup) at a time.

I dug up and reseeded the front postage stamp yard and it's having a devil of a time coming back because the plows pile snow there and the area gets way more heavy traffic than the back (heavy as in bulldozer heavy)
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I greatly doubt that the problem you pictured is caused by dog urine.
    yeow, i kinda think you're prob'ly right.......

princess: grab a hand full of it and pull. if it comes out in a clump.....you might have a japanese beetle infestation....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd guess grubs. Dig down a few inches, pull it out and see if you see any of them.
    If so, buy a good insecticide and apply and water in. Aerate the lawn after a week or two and may grow back.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd guess grubs. Dig down a few inches, pull it out and see if you see any of them.
    If so, buy a good insecticide and apply and water in. Aerate the lawn after a week or two and may grow back.
    yep, that's my guess too. do you notice, Princess, any japanese battles flying around your outdoor lamps or lit windows at night?......now that we don't have diazinon any more they're doin' pretty well.....two other ways and gettin' rid of them are diameticious (or something like that) earth and/or nematodes.....but both are a lot more expensive than a good dose of sevin....( used my last bag of diazinon this spring and had to go to sevin. if anybody knows a better insecticide please let me know....mac
    Last edited by mac; June 13th, 2015 at 3:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've delt with dog urine killing the grass a few times in recent years, and it's never looked like that. Your dog has to pee in the exact same area for a few weeks in a row before you start seeing that. Your lawn has it too scattered and pronounced.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's grubs! Pull on the brown grass and if it comes up easy grubs are chewing the roots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like grubs to me. My female dog pees all over our yard and it doesn't harm the grass a bit.

Use some Bayer grub killer on it. I have tried every other brands there is and on it, and the Bayer seems to really work well, as the chemicals in most are so diluted that they don't do much to actually kill anything.

Reseeding won't do any good as long as there are grub larvae anywhere in the area, as soon as the roots start they get eaten.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    If the brown spot have a green ring around the outside then they are most likely the result of dog urine. The nitrogen overload at the center causes the burn, but as the urine is diluted toward the periphery, it has a fertilizer effect. As one might expect, lawns are most susceptible to nitrogen burns when standard fertilizers are maximized in the lawn.

Lawn burn, when mild, will often repair itself over time, especially in the case of the warm-season turf grasses that spread by stolons and rhizomes. Dark green spots and taller grasses may remain for several weeks. Sodding can be a quick way to patch severely damaged individual areas that might otherwise be invaded by weeds.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast