Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dog Urine Spots in the yard

Post Thanks / Like
    Aren't these government quarters you live in?
    If the army is so worried about it, then let them fix it. Other than cutting the grass when needed, I wouldn't spend one dime of my own money repairing it.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you live in government quarters there might be a self help place where you can get the stuff for just a signature. FT Hood still has one for quarters dwellers. Of course you need a class and a crad to draw stuff, but you dont pay for it.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    True, but sounds like they have a big problem up there and the family housing branch has just given up on it.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had brown spots in my yard like hers but it was grubs. Got some grub crap and bye bye.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

5. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had brown spots in my yard like hers but it was grubs. Got some grub crap and bye bye.
    I repeat, grubs can't survive the extreme temps here.

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    True, but sounds like they have a big problem up there and the family housing branch has just given up on it.
    Yes. yes this is true. It would cost them $$$ and any $$$ they spend is not profit.

Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    If you live in government quarters there might be a self help place where you can get the stuff for just a signature. FT Hood still has one for quarters dwellers. Of course you need a class and a crad to draw stuff, but you dont pay for it.
    Housing is privatized. There is a self-help place, but last year I would get a cup of seed at a time. One baking-sized cup.

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    Aren't these government quarters you live in?
    If the army is so worried about it, then let them fix it. Other than cutting the grass when needed, I wouldn't spend one dime of my own money repairing it.
    We're here 4 more years. I want a nice environment for me. That's why I buy flowers and plant veggies in raised beds.
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

7. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you grow weed up there?
    John Daly

9. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For personal consumption only, yes.

But not on post. It is still illegal on post.

11. Saddened by fchafey is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Till the entire mess and plant veggies every spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    lol, ummm...no...
    note the dates. I've never seen any clean up going on - just patrol cars in the area. The housing area in question is JUST NOW being opened up to housing - pets discouraged. While they were "turning them on" last year, one caught fire and burned.

It isn't our neighborhood, but the whole thing used to be a bomb range.

Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:11 pm | Updated: 1:04 pm, Wed Jan 16, 2013.By Sam Friedman / sfriedman@newsminer.com Fairbanks Daily News-Miner
    FAIRBANKS — The discovery of buried toxic waste delayed the completion and opening of the Taku Gardens housing on Fort Wainwright in 2005. Now, after years of cleanup, the 55-unit development could be ready for residents as early as October 2012, according to speakers at a town hall Tuesday on Fort Wainwright.
    The top level of soil is now considered safe, although new tenants will not be able to dig wells or garden without using raised beds because of contamination deep in the ground, said Joe Malen, the Army’s cleanup manager.

The Army anticipates the private firm North Haven will operate Taku Gardens, but it is prepared if the company is not interested, said Mike Meeks, director of public works at Fort Wainwright.
    “If North Haven chooses not to run the housing because of potential liability, I’ll step up and do it,” he said. “I’ll have those houses filled within 15 days.”
    The study and cleanup of Taku Gardens cost more than $21 million. It began in 2005 when construction workers noticed an unusual smell in an area later found to contain toxic PCB compounds, Malen said.
    During the next several years, workers studied the Army’s use of parts of the area as a dumping ground in the 1940s and 1950s.
    Crews dug up nearly 8 acres, reaching depths of up to18 feet. They removed hundreds of tons of scrap metal, more than 3,300 cubic yards of PCB-contaminated soil and about 3,000 munition materials, including a few rockets that had propellent fuel but no live warheads. Some areas where material was removed required leveling with up to two feet of clean dirt from outside Fort Wainwright.
    Some of the groundwater under the site is still considered contaminated, but because drinking water for the housing comes from elsewhere on base, this will not stand in the way of people living in the homes, Malen said.
    Sentry wells were dug between Taku Gardens area and the base’s main wells to determine whether the contamination is spreading.
    Restoration is now considered complete except for a plan that will determine how often the site will re-inspected for contamination, Malen said.

The 55 homes have been structurally completed since 2005. Construction on finishing details could begin as early as this summer.
    Raised beds only that I provide and I provide the dirt.
    Last edited by FieryPrincess; June 15th, 2015 at 1:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love Canal, Inc.
    Be careful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3