Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kitywampus is a juxtaposition?

Post Thanks / Like

Kitywampus is a juxtaposition?

I got you there. Most people know one or the other word but seldom both. It proves, you know, that if we don’t know words to say disorganized, or chaotic, we would, you know, just have to say, you know, kittywampus but never juxtaposition, you know, which it ain’t.

The point is that if we don’t know the word describing it, we cannot communicate it to another person, or even to ourselves.

Take memory loss. We all suffer some of it and but we seldom know how to explain it unless we find the words that properly define it. I just found out about Event Based Prospective Memory (EBPM) and Time Based Prospective Memory (TBPM). You may have a problem with both of those but you didn't know you had the problem because you could not differentiate between them, nor did you know there was a name for them.

The German poet Heinrich Heine once said something like this: “Happy are the bones you don’t know about.” It could be said about the memory problem. As long as you don’t know about it by definition, you can always just ignore it. Now where was I?

Here are examples of both memory losses. You drive by the library and it reminds you stop to return a book you have in the back seat. That is EBPM.

You look at your watch to make sure you get to your doctor’s appointment at 2 PM. That is TBPM.

Both of these are affected by various conditions, mostly by age, but also some by diseases and by medications you take.

I used to go to the grocery store without a list and get everything we needed. Now I go with a list and if it is not on the list I tend to just walk by the item and do not notice that we may need it, but I did not put it on the list because it was so obvious that I just could not forget it. EBPM trouble.

I showed up at the doctor’s office at exactly the right time. It was the wrong day. TBPM trouble.

I can imagine most of you nodding in agreement, because this problem shows up at all ages. I just found out that I am taking a medication that has a major impact on patients’ EBPM. They show it for each age group up to age 90. It is worst for the 85-90 group. I am lucky that it doesn’t apply to me since I am not in that group.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

2. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What would you call my condition? I go to the store without any list at all, and put half the store in my cart before leaving... much to my wifes chagrin.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

4. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, since I will most likely end up with Alzheimer ( runs in the family) I will probably forget most of what you have written.

Some days I can't remember what day it is.

On a serious note memory loss is not fun and I dread the time when I can't remember stuff. Told both my kids to just stick me in a home. Having had both my grandma and great grandma with Alzheimer and my mom is starting I'm not looking forward to 15 years from now.

6. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It comes with age. Most of us by now have CRS - Can't Remember Sh*t.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    We refer to it as SNAFU syndrome at home.

I believe in the hereafter... I go into a room and spend an hour trying to recall what I'm in here after.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

9. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by siamcat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, since I will most likely end up with Alzheimer ( runs in the family) I will probably forget most of what you have written.

Some days I can't remember what day it is.

On a serious note memory loss is not fun and I dread the time when I can't remember stuff. Told both my kids to just stick me in a home. Having had both my grandma and great grandma with Alzheimer and my mom is starting I'm not looking forward to 15 years from now.
    it's bad, siam, but maybe not as bad as you think it is. i lost my mother some 5 years ago after her going through dementia....it's slow and unstoppable.....BUT on the other hand, I experienced some of my greatest challenges and victories during her "sickness"......mac

11. Likes Ang liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always associated the word 'kittywampus' with misalignment. Think I first saw the word in a magazine story in which one person--not the subject--had a glass eye due to a shop accident, and the story had a photograph of the subject and the person, referencing "under the kittywampus stare" the person always gave the subject, one eye always watching her, the other eye aimed at...who knows what.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    We have 3 words at our house to describe the state of being out of kilter... Askance, askew, or akimbo... Make that 4 counting out of kilter.

And I thought it was Kattywompus.

14. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kattywompus north of the Mason-Dixon line...

16. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have 3 words at our house to describe the state of being out of kilter... Askance, askew, or akimbo... Make that 4 counting out of kilter.

And I thought it was Kattywompus.
    We use one. Screwed up.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

18. Thanks sojourner truth thanked this post
    LOL sojourner truth LOL'd at this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast