Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Alaska - 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FieryPrincess View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So here's one of my favorite bits about living in Alaska. (when it isn't all one fire!)

A friend here has three children. I kept them this afternoon and they played with m own two. Then we all had a comfort dinner together and watched a superhero movie. THEN we went for a meander to pick wild strawberries for them to take home and put into pancakes later. We've picked quite a few wild strawberries. They are tiny (pea sized, maybe), but insanely packed with this amazing flavor!* While we were out meandering. I spotted LOTS of wild raspberry bushes complete with wild raspberries. I think we can obtain enough of those berries to make jams and jellies.

And the fireweed (pink flower in the picture) is blooming wonderfull this year and IT makes great teas and jellies.

And the blueberries will be out in August.

I *love* that it is possible to hear the rhythms of the land here. If one tried hard enough, one could make a life out of it.

Even cotton falls from the trees on a yearly basis.

that's a great picture of the fireweed. man oh man, I would almost kill for some fireweed honey tomorrow morning. absolutely the best hone God ever created and only the eskimos get any of it. Life's just not fair....(yeow, I know, white clover and alfalfa are close 2nd and 3rd..... but as some of you know, close only counts in horse shoe and darts......mac

2. Likes Grammar Rules liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    that's a great picture of the fireweed. man oh man, I would almost kill for some fireweed honey tomorrow morning. absolutely the best hone God ever created and only the eskimos get any of it. Life's just not fair....(yeow, I know, white clover and alfalfa are close 2nd and 3rd..... but as some of you know, close only counts in horse shoe and darts......mac
    They sell it online.
    I did a Google search for fireweed honey.

But, here is a link, if you wish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    If there are enough hours of darkness, the Aurora should be showing up again, in a day or two.
    The earliest to see them is August. We don't have any dark until then.

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Thank you mac. I took that photo with my iPhone 4S at a tourist attraction representing an Athabascan village. I am sure we have local vendors here willing to ship to you if you are willing to pay shipping.
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like
    So far I've put up 8 jars (1/2 pints) of wild raspberry jam and 20 jars of fireweed jelly.

I found another cache of raspberries today, the blueberries are out and I need to look into what I want (or don't want) to do with the chokecherries, rose hips and high bush cranberries. )

And I'll have that quilt definitely finished in time for the fair. I finished the squiggle sewing part of it today. Just need to trim it, bind it, and attach the thing that allows it to show.

Oh, and I go back to work in a couple of weeks. Can't forget that part.

Post Thanks / Like
    So far I've put up 8 jars (1/2 pints) of wild raspberry jam and 20 jars of fireweed jelly.

I found another cache of raspberries today, the blueberries are out and I need to look into what I want (or don't want) to do with the chokecherries, rose hips and high bush cranberries. )

And I'll have that quilt definitely finished in time for the fair. I finished the squiggle sewing part of it today. Just need to trim it, bind it, and attach the thing that allows it to show.

oh wow..... you just HAD to mention that fireweed, didn't you? man oh man, that's some real good stuff.....folks down here have no idea how good fireweed honey and jelly is....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    And the leaves make great tea. Fireweed is proof that God cares for us after fires too!

8. Likes Mestral liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watch out for bears. They like berries also.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

10. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are right now visiting our son and family in Anchorage. Went to the market on Saturday. Splurged on "Fireweed and honey" icecream. So good.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

12. Likes FieryPrincess liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fairbanks bears don't like people and stay away from them, unlike the bears in southeast and south central Alaska.

There was one spotted 20-25 miles away from us, so I am not too worried.

I got all my raspberries on post, and there hasn't been a bear sighting on post in forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fairbanks bears don't like people and stay away from them, unlike the bears in southeast and south central Alaska.

There was one spotted 20-25 miles away from us, so I am not too worried.

I got all my raspberries on post, and there hasn't been a bear sighting on post in forever.
    not only that but Fairbanks is not nearly as good bear hunting country as coastal Alaska is. There's just not even close as much food to find and eat......mac

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast