Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ABC Family?

Post Thanks / Like

ABC Family?

ABC Family’s ‘The Fosters’ Creators Defend 13-Year-Old Gay Male Kiss: Watch Before Judging

The creators-executive producers also discussed how they prepared the two young actors for the on-screen kiss, where Jude and Connor’s (“Jonnor”) relationship will go from here, and what it might mean to young gay viewers hoping to see their own stories reflected on screen.
    TheWrap: Did the writer’s room worry about how audiences would react to the kiss?
    Peter Paige: We try not write stories based on reaction. We try to write them based on character integrity as we understand it and observe it. This story is very true. >>>>>>>>>>>>Both Brad and I are gay men and it felt very true to both of our early coming out experiences.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<on tv in front of millions of disgusted viewers?
    More than anything else, we felt responsibility to those kids and to our younger selves who didn’t see themselves reflected anywhere… We’ve all been watching stories about heterosexuals forever… As a gay kid you are always having to translate. You are always having to pretend like you are one of the other characters. You’re not seeing your life accurately reflected.
    Bradley Bredeweg: The one conversation we had was, “Could you imagine if this show was on when we were 13, 14, 15 years old?” It’s that desire, like Peter said, to be represented and to have the audience feel like they can see themselves in at least one of the characters.
    When people question the scene my response has been: “Everyone has a first kiss and you remember it. How old were you?” Ninety percent of people who have an answer come back and say, “I was 12, 13 and 14 years old,” and I say, “Exactly. It was time to see this, time to put this up for the world.” Then people understand, they’re able to wrap their heads around it.(almost commented here but - just ughhhh)

2. Likes ClickaNerd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ruh Roh... Now you stirred the pot.

My wife and I were just talking about a new show called "Americas Biggest Badasses" coming on the American Hero Channel soon, and commenting how there are no standards for being discrete on TV any more. Many of the things that are common today would have been unthinkable when I was growing up.

I thought it was pretty revealing when I found out that Star Trek had the first interracial kiss ever seen on film when it first aired. Now, you can see everything from gays making out to the full montys on the premium channels if you want. Shoot, there is even an all gay channel. And I am getting pretty tired of seeing even my favorite channels with gay content on them as well..... HGTV, one of my favorites, has gotten so bad about featuring gay couples buying and redesigning their little love nests, that I can only watch about half the time any more.

Broadcast TV, or what used to be broadcast TV, always had a bit stiffer standard on morals than film or theater. With the advent of Cable shows, and a zillion stations available to everyone, those standards seem to have vanished and it is "anything goes" today. What's next? Dora the explorer coming out? Pat Sajak having an epiphany? ( And, yes, even wheel of fortune has shown quite a few gay couples lately, in case you haven't noticed).

Which is why we have channel blockers engaged at our house.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

4. Likes The321 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ABC has been pushing some limits for a while. Remember the bare backside of a man shown on 'NYPD Blue' back in the '90s?
    Then again, some people say its what ABC's owners--the Walt Disney Company--truly wants. I remember the brouhaha that erupted on a Christian talk-radio program back in the '90s ('Talk Back with Bob Larson') when someone called in and revealed that the Disney parks in the United States (Disneyland, Walt Disney World, EPCOT) had annual "gay days", where they invited the gay/lesbian community to visit the parks and have...fun. One person called in and said the gays and lesbians were "making out" in public view of others (wondering if "making out" was just public displays of affection like face cheek kissing, hugging, or holding hands...or if it was full-on sexual intercourse. Different people have different definitions...)

Googling 'Disney Gay Day' reveals that they are still held...in June. First one was in 1991. First Saturday in June now, according to the wikipedia page:
    "History
    The first event, in 1991, had 3,000 gays and lesbians from central Florida going to area theme parks on one day wearing red shirts to make their presence more visible. By 1995, the event had grown to 10,000 gays and lesbians traveling for the gay day at Disney. As of 2010 approximately 150,000 LGBTs, their families, friends and supporters attended the six-day gathering (including various pool parties, conventions, festivals, a business expo, activities for kids, etc.) with 20,000 to 30,000 going to Disney on the final day.[1]

The popularity of the event is seen by some attendees as a way of "reclaiming" normal joys of childhood lost to homophobia in their earlier years. Growth in attendance also reflects the growing number of LGBT families with children.[1]

Reactions
    While Disney does not sanction Gay Days (and officially tells employees to treat it as any other summer day), conservative Christian-right groups accuse Disney of not doing anything to stop the event.[1] The Southern Baptist Convention boycotted Disney for eight years. Another organization flew banner planes one year warning families of gay events at Disney that weekend."
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

6. LOL The321 LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    James Gordon's girlfriends "Big" secret on the second episode of Gotham was her relationship with the lady detective. I bet that was never in the comic book back then and it seems to have disappeared from the series. I know it is a Fox series not FX, but the broadcast channels are trying. Nip Tuck danced around some really interesting themes, but that was FX.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's like hearing that Archie and Jughead have gone gay.... Oh, wait... they have.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    There have been gay characters in some mainstream comic books. The "star" of 'Batwoman' was revealed to be a lesbian sometime in the last couple of years (DC Comics didn't come right out and say she was before, just noting that she was (I think) a Desert Storm veteran who left the Army after a couple of tours (her dad was a veteran). "Batwoman' isn't a major title in the 'Batman Universe', but there has been some crossover.

Back in the '90s, a character in Marvel's 'Alpha Flight'--Quicksilver--revealed that he was gay, when he confronted a longtime-retired hero who was going to kill an AIDS-infected baby in a hospital. It made the news back then...but since 'Alpha Flight' was one of Marvel's 'comic book store-only' titles, most folks didn't recognize who Quicksilver or Alpha Flight was...and presumably didn't care. Not like it was Spiderman or Capitan America coming out.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    Very easy fix. Don't watch the show.

Boycott the channel. Watch TV Land or some other channel showing the shows you are not upset by.

For most teenagers and young people it's not a big deal. They talk about it openly just as they would a hetero sexual couple. Don't bat an eye and it doesn't make them bad kids who have no morals. It just makes them open and tolerant of others.

Nobody is making you watch the shows you find offensive.

11. Likes just2cents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by siamcat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very easy fix. Don't watch the show.

Boycott the channel. Watch TV Land or some other channel showing the shows you are not upset by.

For most teenagers and young people it's not a big deal. They talk about it openly just as they would a hetero sexual couple. Don't bat an eye and it doesn't make them bad kids who have no morals. It just makes them open and tolerant of others.

Nobody is making you watch the shows you find offensive.
    open and tolerant - not having a moral compass? what else will be considered as being "tolerant" - pedophilia, drugs, incest - all have been portrayed in shows in the mainstream media.

13. Thanks sojourner truth, ithoughtso thanked this post
    Likes sojourner truth, ithoughtso liked this post
    Saddened by just2cents, siamcat is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    how do you rationally explain this?
    -a-three-way-gay-marriage-ceremony-yeah-it-just-happened when will we see different variations/numbers - 2 guys and a sheep for example? (some called it a fairy tail ceremony)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    how do you rationally explain this?
    -a-three-way-gay-marriage-ceremony-yeah-it-just-happened when will we see different variations/numbers - 2 guys and a sheep for example? (some called it a fairy tail ceremony)
    how is it explained? hell, it wasn't not only explained, it was predicted. I mean, when you remove the definition of something or trying to give something already defined a new definition......things like this have to happen. Where as marriage was once defined as holy matrimony 'tween a man and woman but today isn't by a few folks.....why then, it can be defined by them as anything. my mare has been giving me some pretty strange looks lately....ever since I started leaving the newspapers in her stall.....mac

16. LOL just2cents LOL'd at this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast