Thread: What's in a name?

Post Thanks / Like

What's in a name?

I'm sure many of us are already familiar with some of the creative names given to children these days. Many of those names seem to me to be attempts at inflating somebody's ego to an entirely incredible degree that suggests an inherent fear of inferiority.

As an example I'd offer the name given to Chris Brown's illegitimate daughter, Royalty. Besides not being illegitimate, isn't Chris aware that real royalty never have names like "Royalty", instead having rather common names like Mary, Anne, Catherine, Elizabeth, Jane, Olga, Anastasia, Clotilda or Genovefa (the original, Frankish, version of what is now Genevieve, patron saint of Paris)?

Names like "Royalty" protest too much in the Shakespearean sense. Instead, I'd suggest parents who want to give their children interesting names get on Google and do some historical research. I've known one girl named Isis and there are whole pantheons of goddesses available for any who might want to top the names of mere divine right royal mortals. How 'bout Ninurta, Ereshkigal , Inanna or Kali. That last name out to put the fear of the goddess into anyone confronting a little girl with a temper, but "Royalty"? C'mon. If you're gonna get creative, get creative.

2. Saddened by Ludwig is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My personal favorites are 1. Le-a, (Ledasha) and D'obvious.... And yes, D'obvious was the real first name of one of my wifes former students... I almost wonder if his last name was Choice.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget one that Scarlett had in class,"K-a, the dash isn't silent"
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

5. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    or Twina and Twinb - cause that's what was on the cards - in the nursery.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Placentia" Mom heard it mentioned in the delivery room and thought it sounded nice. I guess "Afterbirth" was already taken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Placentia is the name of a town in California. It has nothing to do with placenta, which is the name of the sac-shaped organ that contains the embryo during pregnancy in most mammals. Oxygen, nutrients, and waste products from the embryo flow between mother and fetus through the placenta. This organ serves no future purpose and thus is discharged after delivery and then is referred to as the after-birth.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

9. LOL sojourner truth LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just go with the flow. Parents try to pick unique names because they want their kids to be unique. Trust me when they get to HS they pick their own names, both mine have ordinary names with regular spelling. My son became Bob all through HS. Very confusing at the first Open House. Teacher: "Hi, you must be Bob's mom." Me:" Who's Bob?."

I got used to it, now he's using his given name again.

11. Likes Dagobert II liked this post