Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Liberty at the Capitol.

Post Thanks / Like

Liberty at the Capitol.

Tomorrow something that hasn't been produced at the state capitol or any other level of government for some time will be produced from blocks of aluminum at the capitol in Austin, Texas. Liberty will be manufactured right on the capitol grounds.
    Second Amendment advocates plan to manufacture guns at the Texas Capitol during an armed rally set for the opening day of the 2015 legislative session.
    Come and Take It Texas announced late Monday that it had purchased “the Ghost Gunner,” a machine that uses 3-D technology tobuild firearms, for use at the Jan. 13 event, where participants had already planned to carry rifles and shotguns to protest the state’s gun laws.
    “Things just got a little more interesting on the 13th,” an organizer wrote on the group’s Facebook page.
    The Ghost Gunner can manufacture the lower receiver of an AR-15, which still needs attached parts like a barrel and trigger to function but is legally considered a firearm. The machine, which produces designs in metal instead of plastic like a typical 3-D printer, was invented by Austin-based gun rights activist Cody Wilson. Wilson, whose nonprofit Defense Distributed sells the Ghost Gunner for about $1,500, created the world's first 3-D printable gun in 2013.
    The rally, held in support of a bill filed by state Rep. Jonathan Stickland, R-Bedford, is part of a push to scrap the state’s handgun licensing requirements during the upcoming legislative session. Stickland did not immediately return a request for comment.
    Murdoch Pizgatti, the president of Come and Take It Texas, said the group could not legally sell the firearms produced by the machine or lend it to others for use, but that they would be demonstrating how it worked at the rally.
    "It will be us making guns for ourselves," he said.
    Source: http://www.texastribune.org/2015/01/...apons-capitol/

Post Thanks / Like
    Why can't they sell them?
    A serial number on the "firearm" should be all that's required, as long as they have an FFL, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why can't they sell them?
    A serial number on the "firearm" should be all that's required, as long as they have an FFL, right?
    They don't have an FFL. The firearms produced have no serial numbers. They can legally make all they want for personal use only, of course the machine itself is not required to be registered to any particular individual so I suppose it could be "sold" to any number of individuals any number of times for any mutually agreed upon price and each "owner" could legally machine their own firearms sans serial numbers before "selling" the machine to someone else. You know the government would HATE this but... who cares.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert II View Post
    They don't have an FFL. The firearms produced have no serial numbers. They can legally make all they want for personal use only, of course the machine itself is not required to be registered to any particular individual so I suppose it could be "sold" to any number of individuals any number of times for any mutually agreed upon price and each "owner" could legally machine their own firearms sans serial numbers before "selling" the machine to someone else. You know the government would HATE this but... who cares.
    I imagine there are no restrictions on renting a machine to make your own...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    I imagine there are no restrictions on renting a machine to make your own...
    If I owned the machine I'd have to consult with a lawyer on this. Would the owner, or renter, be the one manufacturing the firearm? What if Ft. Hood or the City of Killeen had these machines available for the public to use at the Senior Center or Craft Shop, yeah, like that's gonna happen. As I recall however, Ft. Hood used to have an automotive craft facility where soldiers could borrow tools and work on their privately owned vehicles. Suppose a soldier borrowed some of those automotive tools and made a firearm for his personal use instead, it would be quite similar to having one of these "Ghost Gun" machines available.

If I loan you a chop saw and you cut your 12 gauge down to ten inches am I culpable? What if I work at Home Depot and sell you the saw instead? Certainly no hardware store is required to keep sales records for the BATFE.

Its quite the legal quagmire and I don't think the government has any viable regulatory options, which, of course, is why the statists hate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert II View Post
    If I owned the machine I'd have to consult with a lawyer on this. Would the owner, or renter, be the one manufacturing the firearm? What if Ft. Hood or the City of Killeen had these machines available for the public to use at the Senior Center or Craft Shop, yeah, like that's gonna happen. As I recall however, Ft. Hood used to have an automotive craft facility where soldiers could borrow tools and work on their privately owned vehicles. Suppose a soldier borrowed some of those automotive tools and made a firearm for his personal use instead, it would be quite similar to having one of these "Ghost Gun" machines available.

If I loan you a chop saw and you cut your 12 gauge down to ten inches am I culpable? What if I work at Home Depot and sell you the saw instead? Certainly no hardware store is required to keep sales records for the BATFE.

Its quite the legal quagmire and I don't think the government has any viable regulatory options, which, of course, is why the statists hate it.
    every so often, I really like the way you think......mac

7. Thanks Dagobert II thanked this post
    Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone else think these demos might--um--backfire on the cause?
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    Does anyone else think these demos might--um--backfire on the cause?
    you mean, make some anti-2nd amendment folks out of pro-second amendment folks? nah, I doubt if that'll happen. I don't think their idea is to change minds....just to change votes and energize the base that they already have....mac

10. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
    Likes sojourner truth liked this post
    Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.texastribune.org/2015/01/...texas-capitol/

So the "rights" activists don't accept any disagreement from elected representatives and made such jerks of themselves that they embarrassed C J.

A video clip posted to Facebook by gun-rights activist Kory Watkins depicts the encounter. It opens with Nevarez saying he will not be voting for the legislation, which prompts several in the group to ask the lawmaker if he has read the Constitution.

“You won’t be here very long, bro'. We the people are coming to take Texas back,” says one. "You need to find a new job, bro'."

Another adds: “As far as I’m concerned, you are a tyrant to the Constitution of the United States of America.”

After a few more exchanges, Nevarez rises and asks them to leave his office, saying he is going to call Capitol security. They then grow more hostile, at one point appearing to even block the lawmaker from closing the door.

Watkins, a member of the gun-rights group Open Carry Tarrant County, said he dropped by the offices of all 181 legislators to deliver petitions supporting Stickland’s measure. Of the lawmakers they visited, he said, Nevarez was the only one who reacted in that way.

“He was very rude to us, very sarcastic, definitely didn’t care what we had to say,” he said. "Everything was very good until we went into that office — a lot of respect from others, even if they didn’t support the cause, they still were very respectful."

Fellow gun-rights activist C.J. Grisham said he initially accompanied the group as they stopped by Capitol offices, but left before they reached Nevarez because he disagreed with how they were interacting with lawmakers.

“I just can’t believe the utter lack of professionalism, tact and really common courtesy, that I saw today,” Grisham said. “It was intimidation, it was talking down, it was speaking over, it was childishness, and it did absolutely zero to even engage in conversation.”
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

12. Thanks LauraA thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    http://www.texastribune.org/2015/01/...texas-capitol/

So the "rights" activists don't accept any disagreement from elected representatives and made such jerks of themselves that they embarrassed C J.
    yep....that's my take on it too.......too bad.....there's an awful lot of awful good folks in our cause but, if the truth be told we got (prob'ly) more than our share of folks with the bark still on too......that's just something the rest of us have to live with and hopefully overcome......actually, you can see the same thing at work right here on this forum.....you got the dumb a$$es like me and then the others......mac
    Last edited by mac; January 13th, 2015 at 11:09 PM.

14. Likes Grammar Rules, just2cents liked this post
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast