Thread: Charter Schools Closing

Post Thanks / Like

Charter Schools Closing

This is a bad situation. I'm glad that the administrators of these charter schools gave it a shot, but the story tells me that they got in over their head. Like a mom and pop restaurant opened by someone who believes they're a great cook but have no experience actually running the business. Now the students are in limbo until their parents decide on the next step.

http://www.kcentv.com/story/27416187...ool-is-closing

Post Thanks / Like
    Any school that failed academically as badly, and for so many years, as the ones being shut down needs to go under.

The worst part about this is that the school kept this fact from the parents who were paying the bills. That, and the fact that the kiddos are going to lose the teachers and staff that they have come to be attached to.

Be a lot of broken hearts over this mess... But the kiddos have to be educated.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

3. Likes beaver liked this post
    Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's going to be a big problem for high school students who may not have credits. Hint, the key word is unacredited. If the kids have passed their STAAR End of Course exams, the public districts may be able to validate the course credits. If not, the kids may find themselves 17 or 18 and effectively in the 9th grade.
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's going to be a big problem for high school students who may not have credits. Hint, the key word is unacredited. If the kids have passed their STAAR End of Course exams, the public districts may be able to validate the course credits. If not, the kids may find themselves 17 or 18 and effectively in the 9th grade.

The Killeen school only goes up to Grade 8.

If it is the one I'm thinking about it has changed their name several times and has been a haven for kids who where in trouble with KISD. ( Could be a different one).

Their webpage still says they are accredited and it's good that TEA stepped in and informed parents.

http://www.honorsacademy.org/creekview/

6. Thanks Grammar Rules thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was on the news last night, and my understanding is that the school was not accredited for an entire year... That just saddens me that the kids may lose something here academically that was through no fault of their own.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

Post Thanks / Like
    I recognize the building. It is the old "Bob Bearden's Sports World" on S 2d Str. Creek View was a good name for it, as it sat on the south bank of Nolan Creek.
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is one of the reasons I think charter schools need more oversight than they have.
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems we're loosing another one.

http://www.kxxv.com/story/27585444/k...o-lose-charter

TEXAS - The Texas Education Agency has named 14 charter schools that meet the criteria for losing their charter under Senate Bill 2. The Transformative Charter Academy in Killeen was included on that list.

Senate Bill 2 says charter schools that don't meet academic or financial performance ratings for three school years must lose their charter. The 2010-2011, 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 schools years were used for academic ratings, and the 2011-2012, 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 school years were used for the financial ratings.

According to a release from the TEA, a conservator will be appointed to all 14 charter schools on the list. They will be responsible for overseeing the school on financial and governance issues to comply with state and federal law, among other things.

All 14 schools have been notified that they have been identified for mandatory revocation. Each charter school may request an informal review by giving the TEA written notice by Jan. 12, 2015.

11. Thanks just2cents thanked this post