Thread: Killeen Animal Control does their job on a Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

Killeen Animal Control does their job on a Sunday

Killeen Animal control responded today when my wife had to call the police and report a Pit Bull and another small dog in our back yard. These two dogs chewed thier way through the fence of the owners yard ( a pair of real stellar Captains) wooden fence and proceeded to chew their way through the neighbors fence and entered our yard. The wife got home, called the police, who in turn alerted the ACO. The ACO called the wife from a private number and told here she would be there when she got there. She took the little darlings away and said if the owners want them they could find them at the shelter. Since the owners of the animals spend thier money on rims and cars I am sure the animals are not only not registered with the city, they arent chipped either. I do applaud the wife for trying to get ahold of the neighbors but as the people told her they dont associate with many people in the neighborhood and are pretty rude. It is nice to see the system works, although the offcier had an attitude, but I guess she wasnt getting paid for working Sunday, I dont know, at least I dont think she was getting paid as she wasnt in uniform nor did she identify herself, but hey you gotta crawl, walk and then run. At least the issue is over and my wife knows she will have to get it fixed as we dont expect the owners to be responsible for what happened.

2. Likes Night Owl, Mestral, CenTexDave, Ang liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fix it with some concertina wire.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. LOL fchafey LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or Razor wire, had a kid fall into some of that a few weeks ago. Cut cut up pretty good, luckily he was kitted and had the gloves and eye pro going on, it got him pretty good in the legs and arms, he will be ok, but that stuff is nasty.....

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was a Sunday the responding Animal Control Officer might have been getting overtime although the limitless city has been known to be rather tight fisted with that at times which might explain the responder's attitude. Long time ago somebody processed a deer and disposed of the remains in the yards of a neighborhood full of important people (or other animals distributed the remains there). In any case, it was a day that animal control was off so the call went all the way up to a deputy chief of police for overtime approval. He decided the remains would still be there when animal control came back on duty and disapproved sending anyone out on overtime. When the chief got back to work there were messages from important people waiting for him and the deputy chief got in some trouble. When the department isn't adequately staffed/funded to provide 24/7 service it often becomes a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for all concerned. The citizens get pissed because of the lack of service and the pissed off attitude trickles down through the city council, to the department heads, down to the service providers and back onto the citizens. Its the circle of pissed in the limitless city.

Post Thanks / Like
    That seems to be the key. Adequate funding. Animal Control is no longer an 8 to 4 and out the door job.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of interest lately about the disaster called Killeen's Animal Services Division, which falls under control of the PD. Botched euthanasia, filthy conditions - not a whole lot of positives coming out of that place.
    One member addressed the council and recommends the division be removed from control of the PD. Makes sense - the police have more to worry about than running after some stray dog during after hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been reading that too. Funny how the hiring of an E9 was supposed to fix everything. I will say the curb is probably painted and there arent any cigarette butts laying around....

10. LOL just2cents, Rick, CenTexDave, sojourner truth LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The city hates paying overtime. What they do is give you "comp" time... At time and a half with a 2 hour minimum. Least it was that way when I left them.

What usually happens is that you get all this comp time built up, and then they don't want you to take it off. And, you can only accrue so much of it. And if you do take it, one of 2 things usually happens. They either need you to come in and do something when you are taking the comp time off, or when you do get it, there is twice as much work waiting for you when you do get back.

That is probably why the officer looked peeved.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

12. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All it takes is some common sense - use caller ID and don't answer the phone!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, whoever is on call gets a city cell phone, and if you fail to answer, you are screwed....

The city did offer $50 extra every month for those folks who are considered on call folks... Most of them were bosses, and didn't actually know how to fix anything, but I guess the extra money felt good.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain