Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR's Tony Stewart allegedly hits, kills driver at dirt-track race in New York

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

NASCAR's Tony Stewart allegedly hits, kills driver at dirt-track race in New York

This is sad.
    NASCAR's Tony Stewart allegedly hits, kills driver at dirt-track race in New York

(CNN) -- NASCAR driver Tony Stewart hit and killed a fellow driver during a dirt-track race in upstate New York, authorities said early Sunday.

The incident occurred Saturday night at the Lucas Oil Empire Super Sprint at the Canandaigua Motorsports Park.

One of the sprint cars lost control and hit the wall during lap 14 of a 25-lap race, according to Philip C. Povero of the Ontario County Sheriff's Department.
    Tony Stewart is scheduled to drive today in the NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen International raceway.

The driver of the crashed car exited his vehicle and walked on the track, where he was hit by Stewart's car, authorities said.

He was taken to a hospital and later died.

"Stewart has fully cooperated with investigation," Povero said. "He acknowledges the collision with the driver."

Authorities declined to name the victim, but Tyler Graves -- a witness at the track -- said it was his friend, Kevin Ward.

Stewart's spokesman said they are trying to sort out the details.

"A tragic accident took place last night during a sprint car race in which Tony Stewart was participating," Mike Arning said. "Tony was unhurt, but a fellow competitor lost his life. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends."

An investigation is under way.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is more to this - I read an article that said he was confronting Stewart because he blamed him for the accident.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a HUGE Tony fan, but this one really upsets me. I hope this was an accident and Tony didn't mean to do it. One of the reasons I love Tony is his passion for the race, but did he cross the line? Will be interesting to see how he is able to race today!!

Post Thanks / Like
    until just now I did not know that Tony was the driver. I had heard that it was one of his cars but not that he was driving it. yeow, this is gonna have repercussions....kind of doubt if Tony will race today......if it was indeed Tony who was driving I kind of s'pect he intended to come as close as he could to the guy but wound up hitting him. if any of you have driven on a dirt track you already now how ....tenuous your control is when it comes to puttin' your wheels exactly where you want them to be.....it's fine when you're dealing with feet and yards but really bad when it comes to inches..........mac

Post Thanks / Like
    When the driver was hit, they were under caution. If you can't control your car under caution, you probably shouldn't be racing.
    From what I understand, he goosed the throttle just as he was passing the other driver standing on the track. That kicked out the rear of the car, which then struck the driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When the driver was hit, they were under caution. If you can't control your car under caution, you probably shouldn't be racing.
    From what I understand, he goosed the throttle just as he was passing the other driver standing on the track. That kicked out the rear of the car, which then struck the driver.
    kind of agree but dirt and pavement are not the same. on concrete, a driver could prob'ly put his tire over a playing card, but on dirt, even under caution prob'ly not. pretty sure that tony made a mistake of inches.......and a dammed serious mistake too. it wouldn't s'prise me if he never drove again and became a full time owner......(but of course that other guy should never have been where he was either, that was just plain dumb stoopid!......mac

7. Likes ethelm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drivers get out of their cars to confront others quite frequently. Happens all the time.
    Those drivers confronted often do exactly what Tony did. Happens all the time.
    I agree it was probably just inches that made this what it is.
    Someone who grew up racing on dirt, as Tony did, probably could put his tire over a playing card. Some dirt drivers never make it on the paved surfaces, because they can't feel the car the way they can on dirt. Some paved tracks lose grip as the tires wear, and when that happens, the drivers that drove on dirt often have an advantage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    Drivers get out of their cars to confront others quite frequently. Happens all the time.
    Those drivers confronted often do exactly what Tony did. Happens all the time.
    I agree it was probably just inches that made this what it is.
    Someone who grew up racing on dirt, as Tony did, probably could put his tire over a playing card. Some dirt drivers never make it on the paved surfaces, because they can't feel the car the way they can on dirt. Some paved tracks lose grip as the tires wear, and when that happens, the drivers that drove on dirt often have an advantage.
    just watched the video.......he may never admit it but it sure looks to me like tony wanted to throw?spin dirt on the moron.......might've been 2 morons on the same piece of ground at the same time.....mac

10. Likes LauraA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now you know why they don't want drivers doing this crazy ####. Man verses car. Never works out. Tony will not race today out of respect.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...ez-it-355.html
    Last edited by The321; August 10th, 2014 at 10:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The321 View Post
    Now you know why they don't want drivers doing this crazy ####. Man verses car. Never works out. Tony will not race today out of respect.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...ez-it-355.html
    yeow, I kind of s'pect we'll never again see the likes of kyle or tony......even cousin carl gettin' out of their cars again to vent........mac

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast