Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Basic Home Defense/Newby To Guns

Post Thanks / Like
    Imagine taking one of Norris' kicks in the chest, full force. That is what you'd feel, if you took a hit in the chest.
    Now, imagine taking one to the face. It would be about as quick(According to Mr Fitzowen).
    An auto cocker works pretty quickly. A hit in the face or the chest might not kill, instantly but at 10' the target would have to stand up, again.
    Fitzowen uses steel wire rope (cable) for bowstrings and spring steel prods on his bows.
    I also have a couple swords, but I ain't what I used to be.
    Last edited by IronErnin; August 7th, 2014 at 7:34 PM.
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IronErnin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Imagine taking one of Norris' kicks in the chest, full force. That is what you'd feel, if you took a hit in the chest.
    Now, imagine taking one to the face. It would be about as quick(According to Mr Fitzowen).
    An auto cocker works pretty quickly. A hit in the face or the chest might not kill, instantly but at 10' the target would have to stand up, again.
    Fitzowen uses steel wire rope (cable) for bowstrings and spring steel prods on his bows.
    I also have a couple swords, but I ain't what I used to be.
    what's the "draw" on your cross bow.....and how long does it take you to set her up ready to release the bolt?.....sorry, Iron, you don't have that much time. you and your's are dead......or worse......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    what's the "draw" on your cross bow.....and how long does it take you to set her up ready to release the bolt?.....sorry, Iron, you don't have that much time. you and your's are dead......or worse......mac
    Well we have drifted a tad off topic.
    This is supposed to be about guns.

Back on that subject, I want to note that most things in firearms are trade offs. A longer barrel will provide better aiming (not to important in close quarters) but also provides more muzzle velocity (always important), but slows the process of bringing the gun to target. This isn't usually a problem until you get more than about 5 inches of barrel length.

A laser aiming device is very helpful in putting the round on target, but good ones are fairly expensive.

And don't forget to budget for ammo, both for the range, and defensive ammo.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    Well we have drifted a tad off topic.
    This is supposed to be about guns.

Back on that subject, I want to note that most things in firearms are trade offs. A longer barrel will provide better aiming (not to important in close quarters) but also provides more muzzle velocity (always important), but slows the process of bringing the gun to target. This isn't usually a problem until you get more than about 5 inches of barrel length.

A laser aiming device is very helpful in putting the round on target, but good ones are fairly expensive.

And don't forget to budget for ammo, both for the range, and defensive ammo.
    actually, barrel length has very very little to do with velocity. I checked it out once with a chronograph and the difference is negligible. a carbine shoots dammed near as fast a a rifle.....although there IS a small, very small difference....mac

Iron: i'd still like to know what the draw is on your cross bow.....mac (if you don't mind)
    Last edited by mac; August 7th, 2014 at 8:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    SHoot.. I have a closet full of arrows and 2 pretty decent bows. But those are for the end times after the ammo runs out.

And I can't envision a scenario where I would run out of ammo.

The only advantage a bow and arrow have is silence... And the victim will have to cooperate when he sees a 2 foot long shaft protruding from his heart.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    actually, barrel length has very very little to do with velocity. I checked it out once with a chronograph and the difference is negligible. a carbine shoots dammed near as fast a a rifle.....although there IS a small, very small difference....mac
    Most noticeable for shorter barrel lengths.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38federal125hs.gif 
Views:	9 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	4868
    Last edited by Mestral; August 8th, 2014 at 5:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    Most noticeable for shorter barrel lengths.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38federal125hs.gif 
Views:	9 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	4868
    looks 'bout right......for pistols, but as I stated, I was talkin' shoulder weapons.....carbines, rifles and the like......for example, the 700 compared to a 600 or 660......in .243 or 6mm.......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    looks 'bout right......for pistols, but as I stated, I was talkin' shoulder weapons.....carbines, rifles and the like......for example, the 700 compared to a 600 or 660......in .243 or 6mm.......mac
    I understood that, but it was confusing to some of those new to firearms, and that is who I write for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    I've been thinking about this thread and have a question. I keep a 45 in the nightstand and a 380 in my easy chair. While i practice on the range and am proficient with both weapons, I'm an educator not a trained professional with a weapon. If an intruder breaks in during the night I should be able to get to a firearm easily enough. But seeing/aiming in the dark is a concern. What can I do to improve this?
    Cheap motion lights plugged into the wall. I hadn't thought to use these for intruders. I use them in the halls next to the bathroom when company stays for a while.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Good-Choic...Light/17279128

10. Thanks Mestral thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
    Cheap motion lights plugged into the wall. I hadn't thought to use these for intruders. I use them in the halls next to the bathroom when company stays for a while.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Good-Choic...Light/17279128
    I don't have an outlet in the right place for this, but it would be great for someone who does.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast