Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Basic Home Defense/Newby To Guns

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The proper application of gun control allows hitting your target, or multiple targets.

This is why I say practice is a necessity.

The video, which shows three men walking into the 9th Street SW gas station, was released at an 11 a.m. news conference.

Police say two of the suspects, identified as Antonio Garcia, 23, and Ronnie Lawson, 21, were shot and killed by a clerk at the location.

The shooting followed an attempted robbery and a scuffle with the clerk.

The clerk was shot in the hip and leg during the melee. His injuries are non-life-threatening. The gas station manager says the clerk is recovering well in the hospital.

The clerk has not been charged.

"Last night was probably the first night and the last night he wants to pull a gun on somebody," said Gary, a man who frequents the Marathon.

Gary said the clerk, named Lance, wore a gun on his hip for protection.

"I asked him if he'd ever shot it and he said no, he just uses it for target shooting."

That practice may have saved his life Monday night.
    It is likely that nothing about the size of the gun is important here, other than it carried enough ammo to get him through the firefight.
    What was important is that the gun was not overly powerful and therefore he could control it sufficiently to fire on target, repeatedly.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

2. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw video of this. Was great.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too bad they don't have the footage of him actually shooting the perps.
    (But youtube probably doesn't want "faces of death" videos)

Post Thanks / Like
    Those same people don't have a problem selling video games where killing people with very graphic scenes is ok.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    It was the outdoor security cam. Only showed one getting hit and going down, and one running like hell. The other guy must have bought it inside the store.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    Hey, don't be giving away my secrets. I ain't wearing this aluminum foil hat for nutting.

But back to buckshot. In a 12 ga. "00 buck" is 8 or 9 pellets of 32 cal size, but slightly on the light side of hand gun rounds.
    Moving to #4 buck reduces the size of the pellets to just under 22 cal size, and again on the light side of a 22 short.

If we was defending our home from pigeons, #6 birdshot would work fine.
    I do keep some snakeshot (birdshot size pellets in a handgun round) around the house,
    just in case I corner a rattler where I can't get a clean kill with a shovel.
    I have a shovel specifically designated for those things...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
    I have a shovel specifically designated for those things...
    I assume you are talking about rattlers. Or copperheads. I kill at least a couple of them every summer, but there is always one or two in a spot where I can't get the shovel into, and they get away. A rattler that gets away near Mother Neff is no big deal, but one that gets away in my back yard has his pick of the neighbors kids, and that doesn't sit well with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only one rattler so far. He bit the shovel, literally, when I pushed him back. He was easily divisible into fourths.

10. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    LOL CenTexDave, Mestral, Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get a pet Road Runner. Rattlesnake is a delicacy for them.

12. Likes Night Owl, HistoryTeacher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes you don't have to be the best shooter (although being well trained is always a plus) or have the biggest gun.
    Sometimes rudimentary training and a middle weight gun are sufficient.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...e-the-shining/
    “I just remember the look in his eye,” Cvengros told the Idaho State Journal. “It was like ‘The Shining.’”

The video — which Cvengros immediately turned over to police without having watched it — includes the sound of three shots fired at Thomas. He was hit by all three. Cvengros told the State Journal that Thomas went down only after the third shot; he’s heard moaning through the rest of the clip, which goes black shortly after the shots and then includes audio only.

“Seeing the video kind of brought it all back,” Cvengros told the paper. “But there’s not a doubt in my mind that I did the right thing.”

“I decided that it was my responsibility to protect myself and my girlfriend,” he told the State Journal.

“I chose a 9mm because it’s popular with police and the military,” Cvengros told the paper. “And I wanted something that wouldn’t be so big I couldn’t handle the recoil.”

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9