Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearms Ignorance Related Injuries

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know we've discussed incidents like this before. The kid is dead, the cops are suspended, and it's a tragedy.
    A 12-year-old boy died early Sunday from complications after being shot in the stomach by Cleveland police. The officers believed that the fake pistol the boy had been brandishing on a playground was actually real.
    According to Cleveland.com, someone called 911 describing “a guy with a gun pointing it at people,” but the caller twice suggested the gun was “probably fake” and that the individual was “probably a juvenile,” but none of this information was relayed to police. The officers arrived at the recreation center and ordered the boy to raise his hands, but when he reached for his gun instead, one of the officers fired twice, hitting the boy once.
    Deputy Chief Ed Tomba explained at a press conference that there was no verbal confrontation; the boy did not threaten the police officers nor point the gun at them. They only learned afterward that the gun was fake — a BB gun with the orange safety marker scratched off. Both officers, one of whom is a rookie in his first year on the force, have been placed on administrative leave, according to protocol.
    http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...-old-shooting/
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cleveland cops are gun happy. They just settled a massive lawsuit for $millions for some innocent guy and his gf that they blasted both to death in their car. Over 28 gunshots hit in the car, nobody knows how many were fired and missed. The guy and his gf had done nothing wrong.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

3. Saddened by Grammar Rules is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a 20-yr old ferguson resident on one of the Sunday shows saying he would be present and peacefully demonstrating against the militarization of the police no matter the GJ decision. I have to agree that the hasty trigger and militarization are two halves of a problem.
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

5. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know we've discussed incidents like this before. The kid is dead, the cops are suspended, and it's a tragedy. http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...-old-shooting/
    Where did you get that the officers are suspended?

Post Thanks / Like
    They are always suspended, usually with pay, if they shoot someone.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    They are always suspended, usually with pay, if they shoot someone.
    or in some, maybe most, departments, if they even pop a cap!.......the shooter will have his weapon and badge picked up right there on the scene......cop doesn't even get to go back to his locker.....until he calls in and arranges it......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    I know we've discussed incidents like this before. The kid is dead, the cops are suspended, and it's a tragedy. http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...-old-shooting/
    Dispatchers never relay supplementary information. Here in Cove, I was in the garage with the door open. I had a nerve spasm that drove me out of my wheel chair and onto the floor. I called 911, for lift assistance and told the dispatcher where I was so the ambulance crew wouldn't waste time going to the front door. When they arrived, the crew went to the front of the house, instead of coming to the garage. I asked them had they not gotten the word. They said, "No".
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

10. Thanks Dagobert II thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to hold the cop who shot this kid responsible. From Cleveland.com:
    "According to the recording of a 911 call, a witness at the Cudell Recreation Center park told the police dispatcher that he saw somebody with a pistol and he was pointing it at people.The caller told the dispatcher that the gun was "probably fake." But he said that it was scaring people.
    Officers responded and advised the boy to raise his hands, according to a police statement.
    "The suspect did not comply with the officers' orders and reached to his waistband for the gun. Shots were fired and the suspect was struck in the torso," the statement said.
    After a preliminary investigation, authorities said the gun Rice had was an airsoft-type replica gun resembling a semi-automatic pistol.
    Airsoft weapons are realistic-looking guns used in play combat, and they usually shoot plastic pellets. Most are made with bright orange tips so that they aren't confused with real guns. Police said the orange safety indicator was removed from the replica gun Rice was holding.
    The boy was taken to MetroHealth Hospital where he underwent surgery Saturday and remained in critical condition until his death early Sunday, Kucharski said. The death was confirmed by hospital spokesman Jonah Rosenblum."

An airsoft gun with the orange tip removed. Kid reached into his waistband for the gun. If true cannot fault the officer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    or in some, maybe most, departments, if they even pop a cap!.......the shooter will have his weapon and badge picked up right there on the scene......cop doesn't even get to go back to his locker.....until he calls in and arranges it......mac
    It is no longer done that way, if the officers weapon is needed for evidence he is issued a new one right there. The officers are placed on paid admin leave not suspended.

13. Thanks CenTexDave, Mestral, sojourner truth thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suspended with pay then. Thanks.
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast