Thread: Marking problem

Post Thanks / Like

Marking problem

Our son's 5-year old Great Dane mix started a while back to leave puddles when left alone. Is that anxiety-related? He is house-broken and we are really at a loss as to what to do about this behavior.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBrown View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our son's 5-year old Great Dane mix started a while back to leave puddles when left alone. Is that anxiety-related? He is house-broken and we are really at a loss as to what to do about this behavior.
    If he only does it when left alone I doubt it's a physical problem. Would have him checked out by the vet anyway.
    The best way to fix it is to kennel him when leaving him alone. I know it's a big dog and the big kennels are expensive, but dogs actually feel secure in them. We used it when our lab was younger.
    Or you could try pee pads by the door.

Post Thanks / Like
    just a thought, Sam, but why don't you all put him outside before you go out?.......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    He spends a lot of time outside. The kids are in Alaska and depending on the weather, he stays inside. I did some more research today and it sounds to me that it is anxiety. We are here with them right no and he is perfectly fine as long as he is not alone.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Our dogs eat the records (literally, old vinyl) when they have anxiety and we aren't home.

We use the kennels to great effect. When we are in the "ready to go" routine, the dogs now get in them without being told.
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

6. Likes CenTexDave, siamcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    He spends a lot of time outside. The kids are in Alaska and depending on the weather, he stays inside. I did some more research today and it sounds to me that it is anxiety. We are here with them right no and he is perfectly fine as long as he is not alone.
    The kennel is perfect then. They don't pee were they sleep.

When ours was a pup he was in the kitchen overnight. He whined all night long. I bought a kennel and put it next to our bed and he slept in there at night and we put him in it when we were gone. He would chew stuff. He loved it. My husband would go to bed and he be right behind. Not a peep all night and no accidents.
    Now he's six years old and we don't use it anymore.
    We would put his favorite toy in there and water if we were gone all day. It was his secure space.
    Have one of your kids mail you an old shirt they wore (unwashed). Give it to the dog or if you get a kennel put it in there. It might soothe him missing his owners.

Post Thanks / Like
    The kennel has been tried ... he has literally chewed his way out of it. I went on petmeds and found some homeopathic treats. I then also found something comparable at Petsmart; we are giving it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    When did this start? You know how a potty trained child will start wetting their pants if a new baby comes in, maybe this is the problem. As to how to solve it, I have no idea. My big one eats pillows when she gets anxiety ridden. We have tried Valerain sp, and also melatonin, neither works. Of course, we might not be giving her enough of a dose. My neighbor said there is something you can buy at petsmart and plug into the wall to make them calm. I am letting her test it on her dogs before I spend the money on it.

As for the kennel, I understand all too well. Many a kennel has died at our house.
    Last edited by Iteachtoo; June 10th, 2014 at 11:31 PM.
    "What you do, who you’re with, and how you feel about the world around you, is completely up to you."

Mike Rowe