Thread: FB site for groups/reloadingpartsandcomponent

Post Thanks / Like

FB site for groups/reloadingpartsandcomponent

This may be of interest to some of you. Or perhaps it may have been posted here before, if it has I missed it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/relo...andcomponents/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it has been posted before.
    I appreciate the thought, but there are a few of us (like me) that don't do facebook.
    To see the group you linked to, you have to be a member.

For those who wish to browse a similar topic without joining anything,
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/long-...ion-reloading/
    is one of several discussions on the net, you have to join to post, but not to read.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

3. Thanks circle_c thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Off thread comment.......
    Actually, Kinda sorry I started FB family and all, to much snoopin' and spamin'. Thinking about dele permanently.

5. Likes Night Owl, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by circle_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Off thread comment.......
    Actually, Kinda sorry I started FB family and all, to much snoopin' and spamin'. Thinking about dele permanently.
    Yeah, that is the main reason why I don't do face book.

On topic. I have a couple of friends who do reloading, but in my research, it seems the commercial, finished product has a much longer and more stable shelf life than the components, so I think if I want to get anything custom made, I'll go to them, but for the bulk stuff, I will stick to ordering by the case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    In case there is anyone thinking about reloading.
    (I kinda hope there is, even though I don't plan to do any reloading, for the reason cited in post number 4.)

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...fle-cartridge/
    This is a grim tale. A man almost lost the use of his right hand, and did suffer terrible injuries to his fingers. All because he picked the wrong bottle of powder off the shelf.

The shooter, Denny K., was assembling some rounds for his brand new 7mm-08 Savage hunting rifle. He thought he was loading with Hodgdon Varget. Instead he had filled his powder measure with Hodgdon TiteGroup, a fast-burning pistol powder. The labels are similar, so the mistake is understandable. But the results were devastating.
    Sipsey Street added this, and I concur.
    Some observations. This is no one's fault but the reloader. Yes, the labels are similar, but that is no excuse. I do think that if the actual identifiers on the powders had numbers rather than names it might have more readily cued the reloader that he was grabbing the wrong stuff. The comment at the end is on point: "It’s not a bad idea to separate your pistol powders from your rifle powders, or perhaps even load for pistol in a separate part of your workshop." Or, since stick-on labels are very cheap and easily created on on a home printer, why not label each container when you acquire it with "PISTOL" or "RIFLE"? Or simply write the same information on the cap with a marker of appropriate contrasting color. We are also told: "Denny was not a novice reloader. His experience demonstrates that this kind of mistake can be made by any hand-loader, even one with decades of experience." Familiarity, they say, breeds contempt, and carelessness causes casualties. If the picture of this guy's shredded hand doesn't make you rethink your own reloading procedures you're asking for the same trouble.
    I use the handwritten labels on certain ammo I acquire, that looks like the stuff I shoot, but isn't, and on any specialty ammo.

One of the Sipsey Street commenters had this to add:
    Little mistakes can leave deep scars. Ever wonder why old men tend to be set in their ways?
    It's the scars of life that have made them wise.
    Last edited by Mestral; January 12th, 2015 at 4:12 PM.

8. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post