Thread: NFL to Penalize Use of the "N" Word

Post Thanks / Like

NFL to Penalize Use of the "N" Word

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...al-slurs-games

It looks like the NFL will rule an automatic 15-yard penalty for first-time offenders and an ejection for second infractions. I hope that if they do this, they'll do it equitably across-the-board. Please....no double standard for when it's used by black players.

The head of the group pushing this says:

"We want this word to be policed from the parking lot to the equipment room to the locker room. Secretaries, PR people, whoever, we want it eliminated completely and want it policed everywhere."

They will evidently also push for a 15-yard penalty for homophobic slurs.

2. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    LOL The321 LOL'd at this post
    Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's sad that adults would need penalties in a game to help them treat others decently.
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

4. Thanks bbh thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are already severe penalties for name-calling, penalties which neither NFL regulation or law can top. Just read the gospel of Matthew, Chapter 5, beginning with v. 20 and following.

There are many who have a poor self-image. The only way they can see themselves raising up is by putting others down. That's a shame, but it's also a reality for fallen humankind. No law or regulation is going to change that.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

6. Likes Grammar Rules liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's sad that adults would need penalties in a game to help them treat others decently.
    i don't really have a problem when private clubs or organizations set rules of conduct and penalties for themselves. what i don't like is when our government does it. i don't know much about.......hell, i don't anything about football, but if the nfl is a private club and they want these rules, well either change the rules or get out of the club. seems pretty simple to me......mac

8. Likes Night Owl, rk103 liked this post
    Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't disagree that it's the right of the NFL to set rules of conduct for players. It's a shame they need to.

So you don't think the government should establish rules of conduct? Interesting. I'm inclined to think terroristic threat, disturbing the peace, lying drunk and nekkid on the sidewalk, and lots of other rules of conduct are a good thing. Oh yeah, and nabbing speeders from hidey holes.
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

10. Likes xzochye, bbh, CenTexDave liked this post
    LOL xzochye, just2cents LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who uses the N word needs to be penalized something...IMO
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone who uses the N word needs to be penalized something...IMO
    Why single out this word for penalty? There are any number of pejorative words equally vile that are aimed at other groups of people. Is there a cogent reason for special treatment of the N?
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

13. Likes CenTexDave liked this post