Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Swine Flu - H1N1 to be precise - is making a comeback

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Swine Flu - H1N1 to be precise - is making a comeback

I did a quick search and didn't find anything on this recently, but with a couple older threads, somewhat tainted with political viewpoints.
    Here is one: http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthr...Run-Healthcare
    Obviously dj402_97 didn't think too much of the government's response to the flu.

I didn't either:http://crypto-corinthian.blogspot.co...swine-flu.html
    That link is to the 5th or 6th article I wrote on the subject, and if you read them all,
    I said the outbreak is real, but let's not get stupid. After which, Obama got stupid.

There is supposed to be some update on the current resurgence of the virus, tonight at 10pm, according to KXXV.

I mainly wonder, if the public at large got vaccinated a couple years ago, and we had an epidemic then, how many people (percentage) could be vulnerable today?

Vaccine gives a few years immunity, how many, I don't know. Exposure gives permanent immunity, assuming the virus doesn't mutate, but of course they mutate on average, every 5 months, but it takes multiple mutations to completely evade the immunity given by exposure. It gets really complicated, and it isn't my field.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    BELL COUNTY (January 2, 2014) Bell County Public Health District officials confirmed Thursday that an area resident has died of the flu.

Lacy Sanders, the county's disease surveillance coordinator, confirmed that a Coryell County man said to be in his 60s died in late December at the Temple Veteran's Administration Hospital of the flu.

It was the first confirmed flu death in Central Texas, Sanders said.

The victim suffered from a compromised immune system, but Sanders could not elaborate on the condition.

It also was not known if the man had received a flu shot.

A second man, in his 50s, from Holland, continues to fight for life in the Intensive Care Unit at Scott & White Hospital, Sanders said.

He has been battling the disease for several weeks.

He was not vaccinated, Sanders said Thursday.

Local officials say they're battling four strains of influenza this year, including Flu A, Flu B, H1N1 and a fourth type that was not named.

States are required to report only pediatric flu deaths, but as many as 20 deaths have been confirmed in the Houston area alone.

According to published reports, deaths have been reported in Euless, Austin, Dallas, and Beaumont, as well.

The McLennan County Health District reported 349 cases of flu in mid-December and there were 206 reported in Bell County during the same time period.

Kelly Craine with the McLennan County Public Health District said the same spike is being reported around the state and the country, but said health officials haven't seen a comparable increase in H1N1 cases since 2009.

Both Craine and Sanders said this year the illness is more aggressive and is spreading more quickly.

Craine said it's still not too late to get a flu shot.

Health officials say in particular that pregnant women, the elderly, and children should be vaccinated.

Sanders said the flu shot requires about two weeks for the body to build immunity against the illness and the flu mist requires about a week.
    http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/C...?device=tablet

As I understand it, since the flu virus mutates rapidly and often, immunity lasts only during the cycle of that year's outbreak and only for the version of the viruses the CDC anticipated and ordered the prepared vaccine for.
    Last edited by Grammar Rules; January 2nd, 2014 at 8:07 PM.
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The above article is still the most current I can find this morning, so that must have been the update they were saying we would get at 10pm.

The immunity is based on a set of surface proteins, and the best illustration I have ever heard is to imagine a bicycle lock like the one pictured below. Ever so often (5 months average) one of the numbers on one of the the dials changes. Any immune response (antigens) you get from exposure (permanent) or vaccine (temporary) also has a 4 digit number, and if it can match a 4 digit number on those dials exactly, it is an effective immunity. If it can match 3 of the four it is partially effective. This is why they say that even if you get the flu after you get the shot, it will likely be a weak case. I know the real underlying system is more complex, but this still seems to be a good illustration.

What made this flu so dangerous a few years ago (2008/2009) is that almost no one's immune system, at that time, had any matching numbers. From the article above, it seems a large portion of the population may still be at risk, but I am not sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CombinationBikeLock.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	4276

Post Thanks / Like
    A 10-day-old baby died from H1N1 as well as other flu related illnesses in Bell County. The Bell County Health Department confirmed that a 10-day-old baby died in the first week of January from the flu at Scott & White Children's Hospital.
    http://www.kcentv.com/story/24387676...in-bell-county
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

5. Saddened by CenTexDave, siamcat is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once I retired from the army I told myself "no more flu shots", but the past 4 years I have gotten them because so much easier now.
    Most pharmacies and even HEB give them while you wait - no appointment needed - and in 10 minutes you're outta there.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never gotten a flu shot. Think about, then forget about it. My kids got one every year, my daughter got one this year too (hmm last year I guess).
    Lucky for me I seem to have a good immune system and don't get the flu very often. (knocking on wood now)

When I was a kid and in school, but my brother was not, he would get every illness going around in school but not me.

The sick, elderly, and children should definitely consider it.

There is a free flu shot clinic in Killeen soon, but I can't find my paper right now. It was in the KDH.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had a flu shot in 5 years...Haven't had the flu in 5 years either.

The flu virus is started in China, where the CDC stations its researchers to see which strain is most likely to pop up next year.

The flu comes from ducks...The virus cannot be transferred from ducks to humans, butit does transfer from ducks to pigs. Pigs are so genetically close to humans that the mutated virus passes from pigs to humans. This happens beacause the Chinese peasants keep their pigs in their huts with them for safety. They get the mutated virus, and then pass it on to others.

Because there is international flight as a common carrier, everyone around the world now gets it. I wasn't much of a problem prior to flight, except in rural America where farmers got the American strains from their pigs. The Chinese, in the 50s had such a bad strain that it killed millions of them, and was covered up by the communists so no one would think them incapable of dealing with the problem. There were even aerial photos of the disposal sites for the bodies.

Last time we had an American strain that killed thousands was back in the early 1900s. I'm sure the Vegans could make a lot of hay with that propoganda.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I will agree, it usually starts in Asia, but the '08 outbreak started in Mexico.
    People responded stupidly, by attacking pork products.

Post Thanks / Like
    we, the U.S., had a huge epidemic during our civil war and again in WW I. i don't know if it came from China but it killed tons and tons of us...mac

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven't had a flu shot in 5 years...Haven't had the flu in 5 years either.

The flu virus is started in China, where the CDC stations its researchers to see which strain is most likely to pop up next year.

The flu comes from ducks...The virus cannot be transferred from ducks to humans, butit does transfer from ducks to pigs. Pigs are so genetically close to humans that the mutated virus passes from pigs to humans. This happens beacause the Chinese peasants keep their pigs in their huts with them for safety. They get the mutated virus, and then pass it on to others.

Because there is international flight as a common carrier, everyone around the world now gets it. I wasn't much of a problem prior to flight, except in rural America where farmers got the American strains from their pigs. The Chinese, in the 50s had such a bad strain that it killed millions of them, and was covered up by the communists so no one would think them incapable of dealing with the problem. There were even aerial photos of the disposal sites for the bodies.

Last time we had an American strain that killed thousands was back in the early 1900s. I'm sure the Vegans could make a lot of hay with that propoganda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    we, the U.S., had a huge epidemic during our civil war and again in WW I. i don't know if it came from China but it killed tons and tons of us...mac
    No one is quiet certain where those strains originated. Dozens of theories. Most plausible is that it made the jump to humans in a form that did not cause severe illness, and then mutated, a few months later, into the strain that killed millions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast