Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Life 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xzochye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would much prefer the darkness to constant sunlight. I am a night owl and love the night time. I can be dead tired all day but once it gets dark I get an energy burst. I have ALWAYS been that way and so has my son. When we are on breaks we both stay up till 3 or 4 in the morning and sleep till noon...lol. I love the fall when it starts getting dark earlier. Tricks the mind into thinking you have more time to relax.
    No you are not, I am.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

2. Likes Grammar Rules liked this post
    LOL FieryPrincess, xzochye LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am not certain why, but the magnetic storm hasn't started yet. I was expecting it last night. Our satellites have been picking up radiation bursts for two days, and NOAA has them forecast to start today (it is now past midday by their clock). I don't see any updates of cancellations though, so I guess the storm will hit later today. The forecast is for the storms to last through tomorrow.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    They aren't admitting it, but it looks like the main body of the ejected mass (from the sun) is going to miss the earth.
    Two of the three warnings they issued disappeared from the site. Not canceled, not rescinded, disappeared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    They aren't admitting it, but it looks like the main body of the ejected mass (from the sun) is going to miss the earth.
    Two of the three warnings they issued disappeared from the site. Not canceled, not rescinded, disappeared.
    Holy Cow! Are you saying that mass was ejected from the sun that did not return to the sun and is out there, now, in the universe someplace, barreling through space? Mass?......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of sad folks up here. My husband has a three-day pass and everything to hunt them down.

They are supposed to pick up some over the weekend.

It's like predicting the weather, except that its' on the sun and then travels to affect our planet. There will naturally be errors.

Im more frustrated that the clouds aren't clearing off, but when they do clear, the temps will plummet again, so...
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like
    Supposed to be one heck of a light show...even in southern locales.

Solar ejecta comes in 2 forms...Plasma (mass) and radiation. When Ionized mass (plasma) and/or radiation hit the Van Allen belt, which is our "shields", it makes the light show. The radiation is what the sattelites and space vehicles are effected by.

Reminds me of the solar storm that hit with such fury and strength during the civil war that the aurora could be seen by soldiers laying on the field of battle at Sharpsburg ( or was it Fredricksbug? )...Now that was a solar storm.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    Reminds me of the solar storm that hit with such fury and strength during the civil war that the aurora could be seen by soldiers laying on the field of battle at Sharpsburg ( or was it Fredricksbug? )...Now that was a solar storm.
    I knew you were old...but you were in the civil war?

9. LOL Night Owl, sojourner truth, Grammar Rules LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Holy Cow! Are you saying that mass was ejected from the sun that did not return to the sun and is out there, now, in the universe someplace, barreling through space? Mass?......mac
    The mass can travel out past Jupiter's orbit before returning to the sun.
    Or it might dissipate into the solar wind (mild migration of atoms from the sun into deep space, beyond Pluto)

Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    I knew you were old...but you were in the civil war?
    Well, he wasn't enlisted yet
    Maybe he was just observing.

11. LOL kantwin, Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They suspect that the mass will miss earth
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the aurora thing on a movie called Gods and Generals, which was a second take on the Ted Turner Gettysburg film.

Colonel Chamberlain and his brother were hiding amongst the bodies after the battle at night, and looked up and saw the show. It was the first time people had ever witnessed it south of the Canadian border supposedly.

Of course, they didn't have to worry about EM radiation affecting their GPSs either.

I do remember having to load my weapon from the front end and saying to myself "there has to be a better way to do this".
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

14. Likes Mestral, Night Owl liked this post
    LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast