Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Life 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    We need these darn clouds to clear!!!! If they don't, we, going for a lengthy drive!!!
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

2. Likes Mestral liked this post
    LOL Mestral LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FieryPrincess View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We need these darn clouds to clear!!!! If they don't, we, going for a lengthy drive!!!
    it's gonna get worse, before it gets better.......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hope you have a plan, in case the power goes out, though.
    Storms this intense can knock out the grid.
    Happened to Quebec in '93.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    why would the grid go out?......mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    Hope you have a plan, in case the power goes out, though.
    Storms this intense can knock out the grid.
    Happened to Quebec in '93.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Space based magnetic storms cause surges in the power lines, that will sometimes trip circuit breakers, and will sometimes melt down the transformers. The big ones inside the fenced in yards. The one in 1989 was one of the reasons I got back into "prepping."

Do a search for carrington event 1989 quebec
    The wikipedia article isn't too bad.
    Sunspots sketched by Richard Carrington on Sept. ... "In the 160-year record of geomagnetic storms, the Carrington event
    Do a search for carrington event 1859
    and look for an article at solarstorms.org
    This was the biggest on record, and it set some telegraph offices on fire.
    On March 13, 1989, an electrical power blackout caused by a severe solar storm struck Quebec. It lasted 12 hours and affected 5 million people at an eventual cost of over $2 billion. Although electrical outages are very common, and we have all experience them, the ones caused by solar storms are very different. They can potentially cover entire continents because they are a global phenomenon.

The estimated cost for a storm like the one that happened on May 15, 1921 is about $26 billion per day, affecting about 150 million people.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    but, i kind of doubt if anyone in alaska is concerned over a "space based magnetic storm" at this time. all they want to do 'bout now is see the noon day sun. you'd have to go through a couple of alaskan winters to know how....long and dreary....and yes, depressing they are.......mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    Space based magnetic storms cause surges in the power lines, that will sometimes trip circuit breakers, and will sometimes melt down the transformers. The big ones inside the fenced in yards. The one in 1989 was one of the reasons I got back into "prepping."

Do a search for carrington event 1989 quebec
    The wikipedia article isn't too bad.

Do a search for carrington event 1859
    and look for an article at solarstorms.org
    This was the biggest on record, and it set some telegraph offices on fire.

Post Thanks / Like
    :headsmack:

You know that the storms from the solar flares are what make the Northern Lights, right?

Even if we lose power here, we won't lose heat. The heat is from the water circulating underground to keep it from freezing. In Texas, one had to wait forever to get hot water out of the taps. Here we have to wait forever to get cool water. We have the floor heating and gear and training. (I have an emergency stash of handwarmers that we've never touched)

I don't find the winters depressing. It's a great time to catch up on sleep, watch movies, learn a hobby and drink cocoa. During what few hours of daylight and many of the twilight hours, it is amazing gorgeous.

9. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    :headsmack:

You know that the storms from the solar flares are what make the Northern Lights, right?

Even if we lose power here, we won't lose heat. The heat is from the water circulating underground to keep it from freezing. In Texas, one had to wait forever to get hot water out of the taps. Here we have to wait forever to get cool water. We have the floor heating and gear and training. (I have an emergency stash of handwarmers that we've never touched)

I don't find the winters depressing. It's a great time to catch up on sleep, watch movies, learn a hobby and drink cocoa. During what few hours of daylight and many of the twilight hours, it is amazing gorgeous.
    that's absolutely great for you.....you're very very fortunate. you have many neighbors up there who just can't wait till they can drive to work and home again in the light instead of night. it's been a while but i think you're prob'ly on the down swing now, aren't you?....every day 3 or 4 minutes more light than the day befor it......it may be different where you are. i was up there by the prison.......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Winter Solstice (big celebratory things here, fireworks, the whole nine yards) marks the shortest day and we start adding time from there. Eventually we will get to a point where we are gaining 7 minutes a day, but we are in the 3-4 minutes range still.

Around spring break we will have equitable amounts of sun up and sun down. By June, I start going nuts. I don't care at all for the constant light. It messes with my sleep badly. I know I can put up blackout curtains, but since there's no air conditioning, you need to be able to open up the windows when it gets to 85, 90 (Or like last year, 95).

Post Thanks / Like
    I would much prefer the darkness to constant sunlight. I am a night owl and love the night time. I can be dead tired all day but once it gets dark I get an energy burst. I have ALWAYS been that way and so has my son. When we are on breaks we both stay up till 3 or 4 in the morning and sleep till noon...lol. I love the fall when it starts getting dark earlier. Tricks the mind into thinking you have more time to relax.
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast