Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Oh, rats!

Post Thanks / Like
    The best solution is a .22 with rat shot. Cheap and easy. Lay the trash can on the side and see if you can get it into the can with one shot.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

2. Likes Mestral liked this post
    LOL Mestral, CenTexDave, bbh LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you don't want to go with the 22 (remember, effective range on rat shot is quite short) you're back to those traps. You just need to find the right bait to cover the smell of your hand and the other smells on the wood surface of the trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Old wooden trap with peanut butter.
    Or maybe butterfinger (see original post)
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    OK, Mestral, I'll bite. What is a Westie??
    Here's a picture. They were bred as hunting dogs for the Scottish Highlands. They are very assertive and can do definite damage beyond an "ankle bite". Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WestHighlandWhiteTerrier.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	4142

Post Thanks / Like
    Cute, but I think my cat is bigger than that.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

6. LOL Night Owl, Dagobert II LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cute, but I think my cat is bigger than that.
    I have an 18 pound cat so I KNOW he is bigger than that!
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

8. LOL Dagobert II LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My cat asked me to get one of those. Said he hasn't ripped a whimp dog to shreds in a while.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

10. LOL xzochye, Night Owl, Dagobert II LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    oh my....please be careful with that poison, imagine. if the rat dies where another pet can eat it, the pet will eat it ala....an anuryism....and then bleed out.....when you poison a rat or mouse, you also poison anything that eats that rat or mouse.....mac
    Thank you, Mac. Yes, this is definitely a concern that I have. And while I have no pets myself any longer, there is an off-chance that Sir Ratley may crawl off elsewhere to die. I'm not quite ready to go to poison. I'm going to give the trap obstacle course until New Year's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those glue boards do work, but you need one for a rat, not a mouse, and you need to bait it. Peanut butter works, or like IE said - something sweet.
    And, no, I didn't have rats to experiment with this. When I was in The Philippines I saw people using these and they worked good. Of course, the icky part is you then have to pick the glue board up and get rid of it and the stuck-to-it-critter. It may or not be dead. Some of them probably died of a heart attack, others didn't.
    Have rat glue traps scattered around the house baited with his favorite Butterfingers. He won't go near him. But I have caught both myself and my husband on them. In a way, this is a funny situation. I'm beginning to wonder if his IQ is higher than mine.
    Last edited by Imagine; December 5th, 2013 at 5:43 AM.

13. LOL CenTexDave, Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate that helpful advice everyone is giving me, and apparently Sir Ratley and I have given you all something to laugh about. About the Westies: the are cute dogs, but my folks had a terrier when I was a kid, no thanks. I just didn't bond with the breed.

About the high slaughter gun scenario: how do you sleep at night? I'd miss the rat and blow my toe off.

I have two of those electronic pest "keeper-outter" things; he must be wearing ear-plugs or he's jamming to whatever music turns rats on on his iPod because they don't deter him.

I'm going to try sticking with the wooden traps and peanut butter for a few more days. This cold weather may drive him to stick closer to home. One of my problems is that he has no real set pattern except that he doesn't go out in the kitchen. He is one canny critter, hence being dubbed "Sir Ratley."

15. LOL CenTexDave, cnjbond, siamcat, Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rodents follow the walls when they do their dirty deeds. When you place your traps, put them along the baseboard areas, as they use those routes and mark them with their scent so they can navigate in the dark.

We used glue bait traps, poison, and regular "vector" traps at the airport all the time, as the critters would get into the areas we stored our grass seed.Never had one die inside a wall, but it can happen.

The sticky baits work great...but there is the isuue of "disposal" once the little perp is apprehended.

Those electronic devices work about as well as those things that put out a sound to make dogs quit barking...which means not at all...they need to send a thank you note for wasting your money when you but those things.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

17. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast