Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need vacuum repair and service

Post Thanks / Like

Need vacuum repair and service

I have a Dyson that's about 5 years old. The rotor brushes (I'm sure I'm calling them the wrong name) at the bottom aren't turning. I've cleared out everything in them like the pet hair, but I still can't get them to spin. The handle sucker thing still works, and the motor is going. It's just not turning. Anybody know someone reliable who might be able to help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the belt
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

3. Thanks olderthandirt thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Check the belt
    If you need help with that, PM me.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

5. Thanks olderthandirt thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did - there was hair stuck underneath it, and I cleared it all out. It's still attached to the rest of the machine

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone needs vacuum repair, BCs on 2nd street is excellent. I used to take all of the airports machines to them for reliable cheap repair. Thay are good.

I have an antique Hoover Elite II that I love, and have gone online and ordered all of the repair parts I needed to keep it in like new condition. New brushes and belts and all the body parts that get broken or worn out...I hate the newer vacuums. They suck...just not the way I want them to.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

8. Thanks olderthandirt thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never worked on a dyson, but assuming its like other brands, check your belt. If its still there and tight, then your motor is shot. Double check the wires going into it, and even check for voltage, but its most likely the motor is shot....based off general vacuum knowledge.

10. Thanks olderthandirt thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    gotta agree with SJ on this one, dirt. those folkls down there do a good job....maybe slow but they do good work and it was clear, to me, that they were honest folks....plus they got some interesting hardware items in there......mac

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    If anyone needs vacuum repair, BCs on 2nd street is excellent. I used to take all of the airports machines to them for reliable cheap repair. Thay are good.

I have an antique Hoover Elite II that I love, and have gone online and ordered all of the repair parts I needed to keep it in like new condition. New brushes and belts and all the body parts that get broken or worn out...I hate the newer vacuums. They suck...just not the way I want them to.

12. Thanks olderthandirt thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info -- the biggest problem will be getting there during their hours, 8-4. I'm hoping to squeeze out of school right after the kids one of these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    they used to be open on saturdays. you said the motor was workin' so i'm bettin' that it's a real easy and simple fix.....something like a cotter pin or a key or wedge or something simple like that.......hell, it might even be layin' on or in your carpet somewhere in the area where it died.....mac

Quote Originally Posted by olderthandirt View Post
    Thanks for the info -- the biggest problem will be getting there during their hours, 8-4. I'm hoping to squeeze out of school right after the kids one of these days.

15. LOL sojourner truth LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't have it to them by this weekend, shoot me a PM. I can stop by and give it a little look over and at least tell you if the motor is good or not.

I just read where you said the motor is goin. Are you talking about the main suction motor, or the belt driving motor? If the belt driving motor is going, but the pulley isn't turning, then try getting some GOOP, JB Weld, or something else that's very strong, coating it on the motor shaft, and then putting the pulley back on it. Let it set for 24-48 hours (just to be extra safe since you're dealing with high torque), and try running it then.
    Last edited by Shotgun Jeremy; November 18th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

17. Thanks olderthandirt thanked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast