Thread: Swelling Eyes

Post Thanks / Like

Swelling Eyes

My daughter's dog's eyes have been swelling, red, and watery. She closes her eyes like she can't keep them open, and she jumps if you come at her too quickly because she can't see too well. We thought it was allergies, and gave her a benedryl, which worked, but it came back again last night. It looks horrible, and we can tell she's just miserable. Anyone have any ideas what this could be.

We have been sick with colds, can dogs catch that from us?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by engteach64 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My daughter's dog's eyes have been swelling, red, and watery. She closes her eyes like she can't keep them open, and she jumps if you come at her too quickly because she can't see too well. We thought it was allergies, and gave her a benedryl, which worked, but it came back again last night. It looks horrible, and we can tell she's just miserable. Anyone have any ideas what this could be.

We have been sick with colds, can dogs catch that from us?

Most human illnesses are not transmittable to animals. If it's in both eyes and the benedryl works it sounds like allergies. I would give her Benadryl today to help keep her comfy and then take her to the vet tomorrow if it reoccurs.

3. Thanks engteach64 thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always been told people can't give pets their illnesses, but thought I might have heard wrong. I'm pretty sure it is allergies, but figured it was worth asking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xzochye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most human illnesses are not transmittable to animals. If it's in both eyes and the benedryl works it sounds like allergies. I would give her Benadryl today to help keep her comfy and then take her to the vet tomorrow if it reoccurs.

Have a chihauhau that has similar allergies this time of year. Benedryl every 24 hours usually for a week at a time helps. And I use a gentle eye-wash on her every night. If that doesnt help I'll denfinitely ask the vet for help.