Thread: Labored Breathing??

Post Thanks / Like

Labored Breathing??

My dog is a 10 year old beagle who is overweight. At his yearly appt., the vet had me put him on a diet. He's been doing great, and I can see the weight loss. He's more active, running and playing, and doesn't seem to miss the extra food or food scraps. I was out of town for a week, and just got home. Flash came running and was running around a little. He ate quite a bit, and I will admit I gave him 2 French fries from McDonalds. About an hour ago I hear his claws hit the floor funny, and went in to check on him. He seemed to have had a mini ceizure (which he has from time to time), but he now is breathing very heavy. He is breathing very heavy from his stomach. He just seems uncomfortable. I'm planning on taking him to the vet tomorrow, but would like to know what you think.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Who was watching him while you were gone? Maybe you could check with them on what he ate and if they noticed anything bothering him. Best of luck, having your loved pet being sick is scary.

Post Thanks / Like
    My kids watched him, and kept him on his diet. The more we think about it, it appeared he had a seizure that continued for a couple of hours. His breathing has slowed back down to almost normal, and he is a little more responsive. This is how he acts when he has seizures. He has just never had one last like this before. He's still going to the vet tomorrow though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope your vet has good news for you.

I would just monitor overnight, call the vet as soon as they open or just show up.

Glad to hear he's feeling a bit better.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a seizure. It just lasted longer than most. He was better last night, and is better now. I'm sure age is playing into this too. It's always nice to have it confirmed though. Today he is being lazy and sleeping now.

6. Likes xzochye liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What causes his seizures?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know. The vet said some dogs just have seizures. He normally has a seizure about once a year, but it has been a couple since his last one. I think that is why we didn't recognize it right away. Today he is moving around better, and eating better. He even grabbed a rawhide treat, which he doesn't get much any more.

9. Likes xzochye, CenTexDave liked this post