Thread: Making it Myself!

Post Thanks / Like

Making it Myself!

So I made jelly for the first time yesterday and it wasn't so bad at all. It was sampled today and it was awesome!
    I really didn't have a great pot for the processing, but we made do with spaghetti sauce pot on hand. I did go out an buy a 15.5 quart one today for future projects.

I made the jelly from Fireweed. I am going on a berry picking expedition in August so we'll see how that goes too. maybe I'll make some more.

The other thing I am real interested in currently was based on someone else's homemade that I got at the farmer's market. It was a shampoo bar. My hair has never been this happy while it is too early to be definitive, it looks to be doing good things for my mess of a scalp too. I am also interested in making my own soap now too...

Hence another reason for the larger pot.

And I need to make my own actual soapbox (I am hoping to re-purpose a pallet or find some scrap somewhere )

My mom keeps teasing me that I'm going all pioneer on her. I am really thinking they were on to something, though. A lot of our progress seems to be designed to keep the industry in business and not necessarily to our betterment.

Anyone else make soap? I will guess that lots of people make jellies and jams.
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it has played into another thread, I'll mention it here. Go to www.sca.org. The Society is cram jammed with folks that love doing stuff the old fashioned way. You may be able to find some kind of topical bulletin board on the subject. Or you could look on their pages for the individual kingdoms. Each kingdom has a Minister of Arts and Science, who might be able to point you to a member that practices whatever craft you might like to get into.
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

Post Thanks / Like
    I took I took a 4.25 oz bar of soap and turned it into 60 ounces of luxurious liquid soap mad of our favorite smells and with added olive oil,

Next up: Shampoo. But i have to finish my husband's t-shirt quilt first!
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds