Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fishy smell...

Post Thanks / Like

Fishy smell...

We have a new construction home (built last summer), and for the last month or two we've been noticing a fishy smell in two upstairs bedrooms. We've gone through the bedrooms, looking to see if the kids stashed anything nasty in there, but they haven't. It goes back and forth between the rooms, at times it's stronger in my son's room, other times its strongest in my daughter's room. It comes and goes, it's not constant. We don't think it's a dead critter in the walls, because it doesn't smell like what I've known a dead animal in the walls to smell like. Any other ideas??
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like

Fishy smell...

You could have critters in the attic. Check your courts in rods. There was a vindictive wife who put shrimp in the rods and the guy could not sell the house because of the smell. It took them a long time to find the source. LOL
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

3. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a friend who had this problem, and they never did narrow down an exact cause. A contractor suggested it may have been one of the adhesives used in the carpet or tile. Also, perhaps somethiung in the insulation or ducting.

They did a check in the attic and couldn't find any critters either.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Cut a piece of citrus fruit in half. Place each half in opposing corners of the room. Leave for about a day. It works for getting rid of fresh paint smells. If the smell persists beyond a couple of applications, have the kids checked. They may have some health problem that is causing it.
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that IE mentionsit, paint is also a strong possible. I had this problem at the old house now that my mind has been joggled. I used some cheap off brand to repaint 2 rooms and had a slight fishy smell.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Get some tartar sauce.

8. LOL CenTexDave, liessemsed LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know where you'd look in bedrooms, but our kitchen almost had smell issues. We came to look at the progress while our house was being built, and found that the workers were putting their trash between the kitchen cabinets. We saw this the day before the countertop was to go on. We let them know that this would only make us check it nearly every day from then on. Wonder if you have an open space where something might have been stashed.

10. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    LOL sojourner truth LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'd be amazed at what I found in my wall spaces and attic mixed in with the insulation....I though it was taboo to driink beer on the job.

12. Likes HistoryTeacher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last trip back from Germany and delivery of household goods revealed an empty case of Stuttgarter Hofbrau in the container. Damn fools could have at least left me one full one.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

14. LOL HistoryTeacher LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep...the guys that moved us out of quarters on our last tour of Germany were very thorough...They packed up our garbage can...garbage and all and shipped it to Texas. It was ripe when we got our household goods 4 months later.

16. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast