Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fishy smell...

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if it's not the paint - they're the only two rooms in the house that smell and they're the only 2 rooms in the house that we've repainted... but it comes and goes with no real rhyme or reason. Last night it smelled very strongly. Today, nothing.

We've checked the attic, and there's nothing up there.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
    - Homer Simpson

2. Likes Grammar Rules liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep...the guys that moved us out of quarters on our last tour of Germany were very thorough...They packed up our garbage can...garbage and all and shipped it to Texas. It was ripe when we got our household goods 4 months later.
    It is our vay for getting revenge on the enemies of the vaterland. bmhahahahahah,
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

4. LOL cnjbond LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to check electrical outlets and light fixtures in the area. I had a friend who had that problem and it was melting plastic or other parts in the outlet. Can't remember exactly. They discovered it when one outlet started smoking and the smell went away until another outlet had the same problem and the smell came back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by siamcat View Post
    You might want to check electrical outlets and light fixtures in the area. I had a friend who had that problem and it was melting plastic or other parts in the outlet. Can't remember exactly. They discovered it when one outlet started smoking and the smell went away until another outlet had the same problem and the smell came back.
    We don't think that's it, but we'll check. We haven't changed out any of the lightbulbs or anything since we moved in, and we don't have issues in any other rooms except for those two. I think we will probably have to call the builders and see if they can come in and check it out.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by liessemsed View Post
    We don't think that's it, but we'll check. We haven't changed out any of the lightbulbs or anything since we moved in, and we don't have issues in any other rooms except for those two. I think we will probably have to call the builders and see if they can come in and check it out.
    If your house is that new, call them. After all they built it. I just wanted to bring it up, since it can be the cause and it's a hazard.

Post Thanks / Like
    We've checked the attic, and there's nothing up there.
    Krikey! I hope there is insulation there at least! {just kidding...}
    Other than that, I got nothin'...LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    We don't think that's it, but we'll check. ...
    Just wondering... did the occupants of the rooms detect the smell before you got there? Is it possible that you are carrying the smell in with you?
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

10. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Just wondering... did the occupants of the rooms detect the smell before you got there? Is it possible that you are carrying the smell in with you?
    No, my son noticed it that it stunk in his room. He alerted me of it, so I naturally thought it was his laundry. Then a few days later my husband (who has a terrible sense of smell) smelled it in my daughter's room. My parents were visiting and they noticed it in the hallway outside of their room. My nephew noticed it too. So I don't think it's me.
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    Ludwig, I read that about the woman with the curtain rods. I thought it was hilarious!

When we were in the Army we were told to make sure all garbage, etc. was out of the way of the movers or they'd pack it. They will pack an open can of pop. Crazy movers. We watched them like hawks to be sure the didn't pack anything we didn't want packed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem solved! We discovered it was the lights in the rooms. We discovered this because last week we had company, and they turned on the lights in our upstairs play room (and we rarely turn on the lights in there ever), and after about 30 minutes, there was a slight fishy smell. We replaced the bulbs that were in with lower wattage, and the smell went away. Oddly enough, this hasn't been a problem on the 1st floor of our house. Although I tried to remove the air freshener from my son's room, and he said, "No, mom. Keep it in here. I'm a stinky boy, so this makes people think I'm not so stinky." (He's almost 5.)
    - Homer Simpson

14. LOL CenTexDave, xzochye LOL'd at this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast