Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fleas!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fleas!!

I'm not sure what to do. I have used Frontline Plus in the past and it's worked, but I've put it on our dogs a few days ago and I still see live fleas on them. Now the people in the house are starting to get bit. I'm not sure what to do to get rid of these pests. Any useful suggestions? (I put the useful adjective in there because I know how some of you can be with your advice)

Thanks!
    Knowledge isn't power. Applied knowledge is power. -borrowed quote

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the most effectiveness with Trifexis. Thirty minutes after ingestion the fleas begin to expire. Because the drug is taken internally, I get 100% out of each dose while with external applications I was losing 20-30% due to the density of the dog's fur. Trifexis is also a heartworm preventative and a dewormer for intestinal worms. It is expensive but is worth the extra expense to me. If your home is infested, I suggest you consult with the local Orkin Man.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

3. Thanks Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Treat your yard, not your pets.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

5. Thanks Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Likes IronErnin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with NO. A liter of Amway L.O.C. twice a year, mixed 50/50 handles all insect type pests. Keeps the grass looking greener, too.
    Last edited by IronErnin; June 12th, 2013 at 4:19 AM.
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

7. Thanks Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep, gottta treat the yard. Also if they have been inside bomb each room. You can buy a multi-pack of aerosal spary - blast each room at the same time and follow directions on the can - cover stuff and leave the house, Hit the dogs again in a day or two - won't hurt them
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

9. Thanks Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fleas!!

There is a pill you can get from the vets that kills the fleas in about 30 minutes.

I just read the other day an old wives tale for getting rid of fleas. Get a piece of beef liver place it in an open bag on the floor and leave overnight. In the morning all the fleas will be on it. Just lock the animals in a different room. Not sure how effective that is but man if it worked it would be cheap!
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

11. Thanks Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use Frontline and it works for my dogs. Three short hair and one with long hair. I tried Trifexis but it made my dogs extremely ill. They would throw it up within twenty minutes. And it is expensive but worth it if your dog can "stomach" it.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. - Edward R. Murrow

13. Thanks Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fleas!!

If they are on the pets in the house then they are in the carpets & ext. you need to clean the house of them including the mattresses.
    I can tell you putting out granulated sulphur in the yard will run off mesquites , fleas, snakes & I think even ticks. You just spread it out like you would grass seed. And you can get it from the feed store.
    Laughter is the best cure all & growing up is optional not mandatory!

15. Thanks Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i tried tractor supply tonight and they didn't know what i was talkin' 'bout. are you talkin' 'bout that country secrets place out there on 195?....mac

Quote Originally Posted by christine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can tell you putting out granulated sulphur in the yard will run off mesquites , fleas, snakes & I think even ticks. You just spread it out like you would grass seed. And you can get it from the feed store.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fleas are awful this year. My poor pooches were getting bit up (Percy especially) and so were we. One of my coworkers told me about diatomaceous earth (not sure of the spelling.) Its a flour-like powder that is totally safe for your dog and humans (even to eat) but harmful to fleas and bugs. I sprinkled it in my yard where my dogs are and put it in my carpets and garage. It took about 3 days but I have not seen a flea in the house or garage in about a week. You may have to reapply but it is completely safe and fairly cheap.

It has not gotten rid of all the fleas on my dogs but it did lessen them tremendously. You do have to bathe them, wait for them to dry, then rub the powder on them. It doesn't work well when it gets wet.

You can buy a gallon bag for $5 at Oma Garten nursery on Old FM 440. My dog's yard is about 20 feet by 20 feet and it took 1 and 1/2 bags to cover the yard completely. You should put it in your yard when you have a few days of no rain. Just make sure its not windy. It's not good to breathe it in.

18. Thanks Texas Immigrant, HistoryTeacher thanked this post
    Likes xzochye liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast