Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fleas!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I also read that a liquid from orange zest will keep the fleas off. I have not tried it yet but if you google "orange zest fleas", you see the recipe for it.

Good luck.

2. Thanks Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i tried tractor supply tonight and they didn't know what i was talkin' 'bout. are you talkin' 'bout that country secrets place out there on 195?....mac
    There is a feed store on 195 right behind the tow truck place. Country Secrets was a clothing store that went out of business about a year ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem with the formerly effective Frontline Plus. One tablet of Comfortis per month takes care of the problem almost instantly.

Post Thanks / Like

Fleas!!

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    i tried tractor supply tonight and they didn't know what i was talkin' 'bout. are you talkin' 'bout that country secrets place out there on 195?....mac
    They usually don't carry that. It's the other mom and pop like stores that do. Anywhere you can get seed and feed for farming ect. That's what I call a feed store.
    Last edited by christine; June 13th, 2013 at 2:14 PM.
    Laughter is the best cure all & growing up is optional not mandatory!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Treat your yard, not your pets.
    What do you recommend? I put Over n Out down for fire ants and fleas in the past and its worked all year. I applied it mid-march but had fleas by mothers day! Sprayed a screw into the hose type bottle got rid of them. But now they're back w/a vengeance. Are my expectations of once a year spraying unrealistic? Monthly? Weekly? What products? So far I've kept them out of the house, but the barbarians are at the gate!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did some research last night and I found out that putting apple cider vinegar on your dog after a bath will help get rid of fleas. Make sure you rub it in so that it reaches their skin. The website said that the fleas hate the taste of it. You may have rewash and reapply every week for a few weeks but definitely keeps them off. You can also put a little bit in your dogs food or water a few times a week and it will get keep the off also.

I washed my dogs this morning and put the apple cider vinegar on each dog. I did a quick inspection on each dog a few minutes ago and I didn't find one flea. I let y'all know how it goes in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I asked at the vet's office when I picked up NEW flea meds about fleas this year and they said they're bad all over and the problems started earlier than in years past. We've never had a problem with them before, I was wondering if it was just us.
    Knowledge isn't power. Applied knowledge is power. -borrowed quote

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pushup View Post
    Fleas are awful this year. My poor pooches were getting bit up (Percy especially) and so were we. One of my coworkers told me about diatomaceous earth (not sure of the spelling.) Its a flour-like powder that is totally safe for your dog and humans (even to eat) but harmful to fleas and bugs. I sprinkled it in my yard where my dogs are and put it in my carpets and garage. It took about 3 days but I have not seen a flea in the house or garage in about a week. You may have to reapply but it is completely safe and fairly cheap.

It has not gotten rid of all the fleas on my dogs but it did lessen them tremendously. You do have to bathe them, wait for them to dry, then rub the powder on them. It doesn't work well when it gets wet.

You can buy a gallon bag for $5 at Oma Garten nursery on Old FM 440. My dog's yard is about 20 feet by 20 feet and it took 1 and 1/2 bags to cover the yard completely. You should put it in your yard when you have a few days of no rain. Just make sure its not windy. It's not good to breathe it in.
    Be very careful to read the label.

Diatomaceous earth for use in pool filters is prepared with a heat treatment which changes its molecular structure to a form of silica. The sharp silica spikes readily pierce the bodies of insects and their larvae... as well as your intestines. Pets dusted with this product will lose their lives along with their fleas.

However, the natural, untreated form of diatomaceous earth is perfectly safe to use. Its carbonaceous molecular structure is deadly to insects but safe for consumption by humans, dogs, cats or even chickens. When mixed with pet food, for instance, this substance passes unchanged through the pet's digestive tract and is deposited in the poop... where it then kills the flies and larvae that attempt to breed in the waste.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

10. Thanks CenTexDave, poundpup, HistoryTeacher thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are right, Ludwig. Diatomaceous Earth can also be used to kill some internal parasites, like worms. I absolutely love DE. It can get wet, and is just as powerful once it dries as it was before. True natural magic And yes, DO NOT use the POOL stuff - it can be deadly, like Ludwig said.
    I am afraid we must make the world honest before we can honestly say to our children that honesty is the best policy. George Bernard Shaw
    BE A RESPONSIBLE PET OWNER

Post Thanks / Like

Fleas!!

Quote Originally Posted by pushup View Post
    I did some research last night and I found out that putting apple cider vinegar on your dog after a bath will help get rid of fleas. Make sure you rub it in so that it reaches their skin. The website said that the fleas hate the taste of it. You may have rewash and reapply every week for a few weeks but definitely keeps them off. You can also put a little bit in your dogs food or water a few times a week and it will get keep the off also.

I washed my dogs this morning and put the apple cider vinegar on each dog. I did a quick inspection on each dog a few minutes ago and I didn't find one flea. I let y'all know how it goes in a few days.
    I use vinegar and water mix to keep my dog from itching after her bath. It also helps with the wet dog smell. But didn't know it can help with fleas too.
    Laughter is the best cure all & growing up is optional not mandatory!

13. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2