Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Good For Griner!

Post Thanks / Like
    Who said anything about not still being a fan. He's a great player. Always has been.

I do think it's a shame that Arizona got the contract. Seems like a waste of great talent for a 5-27 team. Might be just what they need, but Brittany will be a big fish in a dead water pond.

Oh, and "Phobe" is an inacuarcy, as it means "fear". Perhaps "homomalic" might better serve my beliefs. As in disgusted by and activity, not afraid of it.

Despite ones beliefs, it would be illogical to deny great talent despite ones sexual orientation. If a lesbian invented the cure for cancer, I'd be the first one to put her up on my shoulders and sing hurrah in the town square. Provided she wasn't 300 pounds.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who said anything about not still being a fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    She lost a lot of fans.
    Truth NO said she lost a lot of fans. My response was about the same as yours. I said her fans are just that because of her ability and talents not her social/private life. She is still the same talented person she was before she came out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, truth be told, she probably will lose a lot of former fans. It would be unreasonable to assume that everyone will support an openly gay sports figure...no matter who they are. Or what many would like attitudes to be. It just isn't going to happen.

What Msr. Griner does is her business...but she has made a decision and now she will live with the outcome, no matter what the results or how people feel. It would also be illogical to think that everyone would support her decision either. That's the way life is, in many decisions that are made.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

4. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who said anything about not still being a fan. He's a great player. Always has been.

I do think it's a shame that Arizona got the contract. Seems like a waste of great talent for a 5-27 team. Might be just what they need, but Brittany will be a big fish in a dead water pond.

Oh, and "Phobe" is an inacuarcy, as it means "fear". Perhaps "homomalic" might better serve my beliefs. As in disgusted by and activity, not afraid of it.

Despite ones beliefs, it would be illogical to deny great talent despite ones sexual orientation. If a lesbian invented the cure for cancer, I'd be the first one to put her up on my shoulders and sing hurrah in the town square. Provided she wasn't 300 pounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    She lost a lot of fans.
    Well, truth be told, she probably will lose a lot of former fans. It would be unreasonable to assume that everyone will support an openly gay sports figure...no matter who they are. Or what many would like attitudes to be. It just isn't going to happen.

What Msr. Griner does is her business...but she has made a decision and now she will live with the outcome, no matter what the results or how people feel. It would also be illogical to think that everyone would support her decision either. That's the way life is, in many decisions that are made.
    You are right in the fact that people may no longer like her. But those people were not "fans."

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll let Griffin know what you said.
    Plan for your demise.
    Someone asked about my comment that most in the WNBA for gay. Their first superstar, Sheryl Swoopes, admitted it. Quite a few have come out since. Funny how so many of them aren't married.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like

Phoenix was 5-27 last year due to so many injuries - namely Diane Taurasi. She and Griner will instantly bring them a title.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like

Good For Griner!

Taking nothing away from Ms Griner but the fact is that while with her advantage over the average woman with her basketball skills she could not hold a candle to the skills of the average male collegiate basketball player. So the very basis for her basketball success is compromised by her coming out. She is not a real woman nor half a real man. That must be a real psychological burden to bear. But then again she has not declared herself as either butch or dyke so who knows...
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wish her and all people who are graduating all the success possible using the gifts that God has blessed them with.

I do wonder why someone who does not choose to live in accordance with the word of God would go to a Baptist university, but that would be between her and her God, and possibly, the university that paid for her education.

Quote Originally Posted by corgifan View Post
    I can see how Griner will lose homophobic fans. Fortunately the number of those is a minority.
    I think it's strange that you post this topic as if you support Griner, then you refer to her as a homo. That's quite disrespectful if you ask me.

10. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by corgifan View Post
    Brittney Griner came out publicly yesterday in an SI interview. From the sound of her words it doesn't seem like it was a huge weight on her shoulders, but it's a smart move. She says how she was bullied in school for being so different, bigger and gay, and that she wants to work with children who face issues like this. As a professional athlete she will have a large forum to voice her opinions.
    http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/9...-says-just-are
    Who cares, it should not matter what she is or what she does. The fact that it is news and it is posted on here just celebrates the fact that these people are different and there are still Americans that do not homophobic, you think European women basketball players have to publicly come out? No one cares over there, the bible states that Christians should not judge thy neighbors. Now whether you believe that it is wrong or right is a completely different thing and she will likely lose "a" fan that is just a raging homophobe.

Why does ones sexuality even come into play in this situation? Will she be kissing women during timeouts? I find it fascinating that bigotry is such an inherited and economical characteristic. No one is born as a bigot, the bible does not say hate these people either, but somewhere there is a spark that makes it a crime. The economic side is interesting as well in that people are usually only bigots to a certain extent. If someone's favorite sports team had more then 40% of its players classified as being bisexual, no stops watching the games, particularly if that team was good. Most would not quit there quality job with benefits and good pay if they found out the owner of the business was gay, or jewish, or a woman. Does the carpenter walk in the house of the gay couple and say I am not going to install your wood floors for 8k because your gay and I do not agree with your way of living? It is all a matter of convenience, with that said we do have overt bigots that plain do not care about anything.

12. Likes xzochye liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I wish her and all people who are graduating all the success possible using the gifts that God has blessed them with.

I do wonder why someone who does not choose to live in accordance with the word of God would go to a Baptist university, but that would be between her and her God, and possibly, the university that paid for her education.

I think it's strange that you post this topic as if you support Griner, then you refer to her as a homo. That's quite disrespectful if you ask me.

This goes back to my post that I just wrote, in that it is all a matter of convenience. This is a little off track, but it speaks to the same principles, when the Texas Western Miners won the NCAA championship with the black players it was seen prior to their championship as going against the social grain. Holy smokes they won and then the practice slowly began to become the norm because people wanted to have the best opportunity to win. With that said I am pretty sure that the Baylor staff and players have known about her sexual preference since she walked on the campus, but ultimately they want to win.

Sports are like a microcosm of life in that certain actions and behavior are considered taboo unless that person has something to offer in return to make people overlook the action or behavior. Griner could have been Jewish, agnostic, muslim, or buddhist and they would have still recruited her and kept her each year because she gave them a good chance at winning.

14. Likes gnatsum liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast