Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: General Prepper's Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

General Prepper's Thread

Why am I starting this thread?
    Face it, I have tried to do this before and it died
    from lack of interest. But I am not giving up.

And why did I put it under guns?
    Well, face it, preppers and guns just go together.

First I want to cover what NOT to talk about.
    I want to instill some OPSEC here.
    Just because this is a simi private forum, don't think potential looters won't be able to read it, and don't think they can't figure out where you live. Many of us regularly give clues about who we are, where we live and where we work. If you give them sufficient reason to do the research, some of them could find you.

I want this to be just a general exchange of information on where to find resources. Especially resources available soon after a disaster hits. (In those hours when most people are still wandering around wondering what happened and when the lights will come back on.)

First (and probably worst case) subject in that line - Grid Down!
    It could be from a solar flare, or from a Nuke, the intial effects would be similar (assuming the nuke was only powerful enough to knock out the grid, and not kill all other electronics).

Here are some things to expect to go wrong in the first hour or day.
    • The Phone system will be jammed up with everyone calling everyone.
    • Some AM and FM radio stations will go off the air. Almost all stations on satellite radio systems will be out, at least temporarily.
    • Since the computer based check out lanes will not work, most major retailers will shut down to save their stuff for the looters (ok, some dark humor there).
    • The entire water distribution system is driven by electricity, with a diesel backup located hundreds of miles away, and probably already in use there. This has been brought up before, and despite a 50% increase in cost per 1000gal of water on my bill, I see no improvement in this area. (at least we are not as bad off as San Antonio)
    • Virtually all the gas stations in the area use electric pumps and computerized metering, almost none of them have enough backup to last a whole day.

The questions I want to approach first are:
    Does anybody know any retailers that will buck the trend and continue selling after the power is out?

Does anybody know which radio stations have generator back up, and someone there to broadcast the news?

Does anybody know of any gas stations with generator back up, for that last fill up before the looting begins?

Then maybe we can move on to other questions.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    How long should one expect a power outage to last, a day, a month, forever? Expectations will drive actions. In the first hour of a power outage, if no one has any reason to think it will persist any longer than any power outage folks have experience in the past around here, the reaction may just be closure of the establishment with the expectation of returning the next day at regular opening time or whenever the owner/manager believes power has been restored. If, however, the loss of power is believed to be a permanent change of lifestyle, then some radical alternatives will have to be explored. Water wells will need to be dug and windmills constructed to pump the water. Food will have to be cultivated and harvested.

Is the likely scenario back to Katrina or back to the Dark Ages and for how long? Is it best to plan for having to rebuild civilization or simply have enough canned food and firewood on hand to eat for a week until Texas Roadhouse reopens?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have learned, and I teach mine, that life on this earth is only a short-term reality... 120 years are but a blink of an eye, if that long. So, to inordinately worry about survival, particularly if that concern is only for self, serves no useful purpose in the long run.

Also, there was life before gasoline engines, computers, and electricity, food from the grocers, and modern medicine. We (my clan) are prepared to live without such conveniences and to help others also to live. We will survive until our Maker calls us home and then we will joyfully make that transition.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

4. Likes sojourner truth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert II View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How long should one expect a power outage to last, a day, a month, forever? Expectations will drive actions. In the first hour of a power outage, if no one has any reason to think it will persist any longer than any power outage folks have experience in the past around here, the reaction may just be closure of the establishment with the expectation of returning the next day at regular opening time or whenever the owner/manager believes power has been restored. . . .
    Everything you posted was good questions (I will ignore the off topic postings) but I want to concentrate first on the first two hours, when no one knows what is going on, and am looking for stores and gas stations that either will sell without their computers or have generator backup. Also, which radio stations would still be on the air (in the local area) with generator backup, and someone who might go on the air to talk about what they are seeing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where can you get 55 gal drums for fuel storage? Fuel will be worth more than gold.
    Basic medical supplies will become more important as time goes by.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Where can you get 55 gal drums for fuel storage? Fuel will be worth more than gold.
    Basic medical supplies will become more important as time goes by.
    Try the sewage treatment plant on 38th street. They used to sell the 55 gal drums that are used to ship some of the chemicals they use.

8. Thanks Mestral thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert II View Post
    Try the sewage treatment plant on 38th street. They used to sell the 55 gal drums that are used to ship some of the chemicals they use.
    Ahhh, resources, now that is what I am talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the day we had a 300 gal gasoline tank on the farm for our tractor. The local jobber would come out to the farm and fill our tank. We paid no tax on that gasoline. I wonder if that is still a doable.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Back in the day we had a 300 gal gasoline tank on the farm for our tractor. The local jobber would come out to the farm and fill our tank. We paid no tax on that gasoline. I wonder if that is still a doable.
    Only if you are a legal farm or ranch, per department of agriculture, which is the authority for giving the tax break, I think. Some of y'all that go out to his ranch might ask him about that next time you're out there. (OPSEC)

Post Thanks / Like
    The Killeen recycle yard used to have 55 gal. drums. I know the airport gets them, (for glycol) and has to pay to get them hauled off. Also, there is a fuel supply store on old 195/Ft. Hood street that has them stacked up outside for sale. We used to get them for our fuel yard at the airport. Also, I made a few BBQ grilles w/smokers out of them when I had a welder.

Most of your gun/ammo sites have stuff for survival for sale. To include water storage containers, purification kits, fire starter materials, clothing, MRE's, and that sort of stuff. Cheaper than dirt and Sportsmans guide are hounding me daily with specials on that stuff. I have most of it already. To include syphoning equipment to get gas out of cars, if needed...
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast