Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: General Prepper's Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i hear that the company that owns nbc and all that it owns is gonna buy out time warner cable unless the feds pitch a bitch......i'm generally against any fed interferance with anything business but i can't see why an nbc property would keep fox news.......mac

FOX news makes more money that anyone else. Pretty good reason to want them as an asset.

I'm surprised George Sorros hasn't tried to buy them out.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

2. Thanks Mestral thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    i hear that the company that owns nbc and all that it owns is gonna buy out time warner cable unless the feds pitch a bitch......i'm generally against any fed interferance with anything business but i can't see why an nbc property would keep fox news.......mac
    The fed generally won't interfere unless it can be shown that a company is getting such a monopoly hold that it would prevent others from providing fair competition. Comcast and TimeWarner combined would be pretty close, as they would control a majority of high speed cable links (the backbones, not the consumer stuff) in some places (and thus could actually choke ATT and Spriint, maybe even the government communicaitons). I don't know if they would have enough, in enough places, to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    FOX news makes more money that anyone else. Pretty good reason to want them as an asset.
    I'm surprised George Sorros hasn't tried to buy them out.
    There are a few entities that are making inroads.
    The Gay Rights lobby has a major foothold, and both Islamist, and Communist organizations are also making inroads.
    Their days of exposing the truth are numbered, and I have brought up before, that we need to be vetting a replacement for them.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by just2cents View Post
    Comcast Shows Fox News now.
    great! thanx, 2 cents....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The price of wholesale coffee went up, by approximately double, in the past month or so. I saw the coffee section was raided badly a few days ago, and thought "that was the end of that" but this morning I saw they had restocked at the same old price. I don't know how much longer they will have the same old price, but if you drink a lot of coffee, you might want to stock up prepper style

6. Thanks CenTexDave, HistoryTeacher thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife said that the prices are the same, but we always keep a stock of extra on hand anyhow. The reports do say also that the price of milk, eggs, fruits and vegetables are going to have substantial price hikes. Coffee was $5.98 a can at Wally world yesterday. Same as the week before.

Veggies and fruits mostly to the California drought. Milk and eggs have always been underpriced for the market, to be honest.

We always keep a pretty substantial supply of rice, soups, canned fruits and vegetables, cereals, flour, sugar, and frozen meats. I am just now getting serious about water stockpiling, as that will be the first thing that will disappear in a crisis.

All the ammo in the world won't fill your glass.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

8. Thanks Mestral thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave, HistoryTeacher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My wife said that the prices are the same, but we always keep a stock of extra on hand anyhow. The reports do say also that the price of milk, eggs, fruits and vegetables are going to have substantial price hikes. Coffee was $5.98 a can at Wally world yesterday. Same as the week before.

Veggies and fruits mostly to the California drought. Milk and eggs have always been underpriced for the market, to be honest.

We always keep a pretty substantial supply of rice, soups, canned fruits and vegetables, cereals, flour, sugar, and frozen meats. I am just now getting serious about water stockpiling, as that will be the first thing that will disappear in a crisis.

I am working on about the same assumptions as you, but stocked some water from the beginning. Where I am behind the curve is with my veggies. Until last summer, I had a good crop of domesticated prickly pear cactus that could provide about a week's supply of vegetable eats. They got damaged in the 2011 drought, never quite recovered, and may have been all but completely killed by this winter. So, now the goal is to stock five kinds of canned veggies.

This is all shallow larder, though. Maybe I can get to work on deep larder later this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Infor...eezerChart.htm

This is an expiration chart with freezer times. Pretty interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

that kind of depends on how much ammo the other guy has......mac

12. LOL Night Owl, Mestral, sojourner truth LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Infor...eezerChart.htm
    This is an expiration chart with freezer times. Pretty interesting.
    General purpose chart, including freezer times.

From a prepper point of view, the only thing it lacks is a column for prognosis after power goes out.

But if you're storing for times of shortage, it's very good to know the stuff on that chart.

14. Likes HistoryTeacher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How many things can we learn from this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Cold-War.html

1. The family is pretty stupid.
    For more than a decade after they moved into their house in Neenah, Wisconsin, the Zwick family knew they had a Cold War bunker in their backyard.
    It was not until 2010 that anyone thought to open the heavy steel hatch, climb down the ladder and explore the 8-foot-by-10-foot chamber that the home's previous owner had built to protect his family from a nuclear attack.
    2. They are probably liberals (else, they would have opened them to see, since conservatives are adults, and don't need a nanny).
    The boxes, old military ammunition crates, contained markings that suggested there might be explosives inside, so the family called the local branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

Agents opened the crates to find... Hawaiian Punch.
    3. And, of course, if you use old ammo cans, paint over the old markings, and maybe mark them properly, yourself!

16. Likes Dagobert II liked this post
    LOL HistoryTeacher LOL'd at this post
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast