Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31

Thread: General Prepper's Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, in California they are stocking up on Unicorn farts for their limos when the gas runs out... And bunkering Avian water bottles... Plus extra batteries so they can call 911 when things go south for them.

Hope they can get those with Spanish instructions on them.
    Hope they remember to check if there's water in the bottle. Probably not.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    Well, in California they are stocking up on Unicorn farts for their limos when the gas runs out... And bunkering Avian water bottles... Plus extra batteries so they can call 911 when things go south for them.

Hope they can get those with Spanish instructions on them.
    10 / 5.
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    Record keeping has been so poor until the 1960's that we really don't know if they were increasing or decreasing before that.
    Well, as long as there were people living on the coast, there was some record keeping, in the newspapers that existed in those areas since the Pilgrims landed. I'm also sure, in the days before newspapers, people kept diaries and journals.

But, in deference to your semantics, there might be some conjecture in interpretation of what those coastal settlers may have seen, or even survived in those early days before photography. Historians agree that the Great Storm of 1900 that hit Galveston WAS a hurricane, but what intensity, those back then didn't know. They do recognize it as a Hurricane, and not as a Tropical Storm though.

I would imagine that some parts of the Atlantic Seaboard were hit on some regular basis by really bad storms in the period from 1621 to 1821, but whether those storms were tropical storms, hurricanes, or just some frontal system making circular paths in the ocean, most of the folks back then didn't have a clue. Meteorology and climatology were "young" sciences back then (compared to chemistry and to a lesser extant, biology).
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

4. Thanks Mestral thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Of interest.

Almost two years ago, several members of the National Infrastructure Advisory Council resigned in protest.
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/28/1...n-protest-niac
    Reading between the lines, we can see that those who quit were a bunch of political operatives: Social Justice Warrior types, and were not really interested in securing our real infrastructure, at all.

Last Jan, The Global Economic Forum published their annual Risk Assessment.
    https://www.weforum.org/reports/the-...ks-report-2018
    About 80 Pages, if anyone wants to read it.

Based on that and the cyber attack carried out in Ukraine, probably by Russia,
    we have been doing drills to see how well we could restore our grid after an attack.
    https://www.cyberscoop.com/power-gri...a-plum-island/

My take is that it doesn't look promising

Hence, the Infrastructure Advisory Council to the President has made recommendations that we all become preppers.

https://www.cyberscoop.com/national-...ural-disaster/

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...08%20FINAL.pdf

Yeah, like that is going to happen
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is ?international? tsunami preparedness week.
    Maybe the rest of us need a plan for floods?
    (I am thinking about writing a paper:
    How to do a 5 step study to determine your chances of being flooded.
    But would anyone find it useful? Would anyone care?)

http://afludiary.blogspot.com/2019/0...week-2019.html
    While most people think the Tsunami threat is primarily limited to the Pacific and Indian Ocean, as we've discussed previously (see The Caribbean’s Hidden Tsunami Potential (Revisited), the Caribbean and the Atlantic both have a history of seismic activity.

While rare, the Atlantic seaboard, Florida, and even the Gulf of Mexico are not immune to Tsunamis
    There is a list on the linked page.

Even though destructive tsunamis are rare - if you live in, work at, or visit any coastal region - you should be aware of the potential threat, and what to do if a tsunami warning is issued.
    More importantly, what to do if you look at the sea and the water just got sucked out to sea.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Preppers in Sweden are serious and are supported and encouraged by their government.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31