Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: General Prepper's Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    on 26 june I posted:
    I first brought up Bleach in connection with water system outages, and again with the onset of Ebola panic.
    Since it has been almost a year, it is time again to discuss bleach.

Bleach has a shelf life. If you have had a bottle setting around for over a year, it may be time to replace it.
    Especially if it is not inside the climate controlled part of your home.
    I also bought, about a year ago, some bleach (benzyl ammonium chloride) wipes.
    Don't know the shelf life on these yet.

And for those who keep extra batteries around, if you bought Utilitech (Lowes store brand) in or
    before 2011 , all of the ones I bought that year are leaking (or already leaked and disposed of).

On the topic of stupid people:
    by rebnavy1862 ยป Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:03 am

(quote "Christy")Last week I worked out local food pantry. We always have left over eggs, so I took 7 dozen eggs to give away to the first seven people.

This young girl with three small kids came in and she looked at my eggs, (which were brown, tan and blue, and free range,) and wanted to know what they were. When we said farm eggs, she said gross. She told us her eggs don't come from chickens, they come from a store and her eggs were white. How was she supposed to eat a blue or brown egg. When we explained that they were all yellow on the inside, she said she would never feed her children food off of a farm.(/quote)

My urban sister-in-law, when visiting my farm, was very reluctant to drink my water which comes from a well. She didn't want anything that came out of the ground. Her home city, Chesapeake, VA, has undrinkable water that is high in sodium and heavily dosed with chloramine. The city forces them to hook up to the system. They have to buy bottled water for drinking and cooking.
    After drinking my well water, she remarked about the lack of an odor and the pure taste. I haven't told her yet that the vegetables we take her are grown in the dirt (how gross).
    How are these people going to survive?
    Reb
    I went the opposite, and have plans to sponsor a nearby chicken farmer.
    I will do that by contracting to buy two dozen a month from him, for a generous price.
    That way if eggs ever "go missing" from the grocer, at least I should be able to get a few.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... I will do that by contracting to buy two dozen a month from him, for a generous price.
    That way if eggs ever "go missing" from the grocer, at least I should be able to get a few.
    You are, of course, free to make choices for yourself. However, this one seems a bit silly to me. Hen eggs are not essential to survival. While I dearly enjoy a hen egg of a morning in any of several cooking methods, my love for them does not justify paying a premium price for them, especially not for the purpose of ensuring availability should catastrophe occur. I prefer to spend my available resources on beans, legumes, nuts, whole grains... including rice. In this case, a good source for determining what should be held might be the Church of Jesus Christ of the Later Day Saints.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I prefer to spend my available resources on beans, legumes, nuts, whole grains... including rice. In this case, a good source for determining what should be held might be the Church of Jesus Christ of the Later Day Saints.
    They do have a good variety of items available for sale online.
    Some of it, you can tell they are proud of, but it's good variety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    You are, of course, free to make choices for yourself. However, this one seems a bit silly to me. Hen eggs are not essential to survival. While I dearly enjoy a hen egg of a morning in any of several cooking methods, my love for them does not justify paying a premium price for them, especially not for the purpose of ensuring availability should catastrophe occur. I prefer to spend my available resources on beans, legumes, nuts, whole grains... including rice. In this case, a good source for determining what should be held might be the Church of Jesus Christ of the Later Day Saints.
    I agree, in an end of the world senario, I won't even have access to this guy, as he lives outside my reach for foot travel.
    In such case, his neighbors will be better off. (I always teach that it is better to be valuable to the neighbors, that way
    their guns help defend you, instead of robbing you.)
    I already got the legumes pasta and other grains covered.
    This is for milder disasters.
    As for the LDS Prepper's manual, I got a copy and already read it.
    This other link to it might be a newer edition.

Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    They do have a good variety of items available for sale online.
    Some of it, you can tell they are proud of, but it's good variety.
    They? As in LDS? Didn't know they had online stores. Guess I should check them out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    They? As in LDS? Didn't know they had online stores. Guess I should check them out.
    Here's a link to their online store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    Here's a link to their online store
    Took several times to get it to load.
    Probably a combination of traffic on their end and bottlenecks in my computer.

While I have very serious disagreements with their theology,
    they have some very well rounded advice in the practical life arena.

Post Thanks / Like
    It still seems the ultimate survival scenario would be to be on the crew of a ballistic missile submarine, of course even in that scenario you'd have to know that there are probably a couple of attack subs with nothing on their agenda but to send you to the bottom. Beyond the submarine scenario, I can only speculate about the security advantages of a cloaked Romulan space ship.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been reading a blog by MD Creekmore. Very interesting, and includes comments by readers: "What have you done to prep this week?" Some take on monumental tasks, but many others just organize and find good sales. I recommend it for the diversity in tasks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
    I've been reading a blog by MD Creekmore. Very interesting, and includes comments by readers: "What have you done to prep this week?" Some take on monumental tasks, but many others just organize and find good sales. I recommend it for the diversity in tasks.
    http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I called Express Scripts (Tricare mail in pharmacy). Saving almost $100/month now. Some meds aren't available at DACH. Three month supply puts my mind at ease.

11. Likes fchafey liked this post
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast