Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Thread: General Prepper's Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... Silver and Copper are antimicrobial, for instance.
    True, but both can also be toxic when so used by the untrained.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    True, but both can also be toxic when so used by the untrained.
    For the untrained, most of what goes on in TEOTWAWKI situations is going to be bad.

Silver has two uses. Almost as soon as people realize that greenbacks are worthless, silver will have a window of trading value. The second use comes a year or two later, when most of the unprepared have done away with each other. Other supplies kept for trading have more than one use, also, thus the reason they became barter items.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On the Avian Flu Blog (the best running account of influenza in the world today)
    there are a couple of articles dealing with one of the authors having to "bug out"
    as Hurricane Irma approached. Good and useful information.

http://afludiary.blogspot.ca/2017/09...dies-most.html

http://afludiary.blogspot.ca/2017/09...ma-update.html

4. Thanks Shotgun Jeremy thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On the Avian Flu Diary, he continues his personal account of
    having to "bug out as Hurricane Irma began to tear
    thru his area.
    I always find that people who have had to put their plans
    to the test have some Good and useful information.
    I should note that in a post last week, he revealed that he is 60.

http://afludiary.blogspot.ca/2017/09...mes-it-is.html
    He begins with
    As so many have recently discovered (or rediscovered), after about 12 hours without electricity, the quality of life begins to sharply decline. After 48 hours life just sucks.

While having no TV, or Internet, or electric lights might seem more of an inconvenience than anything else, sometimes not having power can be deadly (see Ninth person dead in Florida nursing home where Irma knocked out power).
    During the summer of 2012, a powerful Derecho swept across the Mid-Atlantic states (see Picking Up The Pieces), killing 15 and leaving nearly 4 million people without power, some for more than 2 weeks. While 15 people died during the storm, at least 32 died of heat-related illnesses in the two weeks that followed. This from a 2013 MMWR:
    Heat-Related Deaths After an Extreme Heat Event — Four States, 2012, and United States, 1999–2009
    June 7, 2013 / 62(22);433-436 On June 29, 2012, a rapidly moving line of intense thunderstorms with high winds swept across the midwestern and eastern United States, causing widespread damage and power outages.
    Afterward, the area experienced extreme heat, with maximum temperatures exceeding 100°F (37.8°C) (1). This report describes 32 heat-related deaths in Maryland, Ohio, Virginia, and West Virginia that occurred during the 2 weeks following the storms and power outages.
    In another article, he discusses shortcomings in his own plans
    (which were already pretty robust)
    http://afludiary.blogspot.ca/2017/09...et-out-of.html
    Although I've had a couple of close calls over the years, last week's brush with Hurricane Irma was the first time I've actually been forced to leave my home in the face of a natural disaster. I wrote about my decision 10 days ago in #NatlPrep: Disaster Buddies - The Most Important Prep Of All.
    It is not a pleasant thought, but sometimes circumstances and common sense dictate that you must leave your home - and the bulk of your belongings - behind.
    Luckily, I had several prearranged places I can go. Friends, who are also disaster buddies (see In An Emergency, Who Has Your Back?), who know my couch is always available to them should they need it.
    While I keep the requisite `bug out bag' (several duffels, in fact), something I hadn't given enough thought to is what would I take if I had 24 hours warning. It's one thing to flee a burning house with your BOB and your life, it's another thing to have a full day to triage your preps and your life's belongings.
    Ninety-five percent of what I took were emergency supplies, since even where I was going was forecast to be hard hit. But I had to leave a lot behind, partially because I had no good way to pack and tote the stuff.
    Despite being well prepared to shelter in place, I found I was less organized than I needed to be to evacuate the bulk of my preps. And that added both work and stress my evacuation.
    Luckily, I now have a second chance to remedy that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    For those who are considering buying silver, I think we may have missed the bottom of the market.
    Right now, there is a premium attached to buying some of the more popular silver coins,
    and a lot of them are sold out. We may get another chance (or not), but I suspect that if you
    are planning to buy, the time is now.

Always hedge your bets, and don't go crazy in any one category (siver, ammo, etc) but these
    are some chaotic times, and I really don't expect it to get better any time soon. If ever.
    Silver is back in that "now is the time to buy category. As was pointed out previously in this thread, it probably isn't a good investment if you plan to turn it back into cash within the next few years, but some of us have other plans.
    Once again, silver is back in that price range
    where it may be worthwhile to look at.

I used to buy some from AMPEX, and still
    get their alerts, but I have all I need now.

7. Thanks Shotgun Jeremy thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    After Action Report on Bugout for Tsunami 23rd of Jan

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/print...2&pp=40&page=1

The did everything except preposition supplies.

9. Thanks ithoughtso, Dagobert II, Shotgun Jeremy thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As guns and ammo are back in the news, lets not forget
    to buy, distribute, and trade guns and ammo, while
    all of the above are still legal.

Guns and ammo are not the most important thing
    in prepping, but they are the thing that is most likely
    to be the first thing threatened with government
    interference in the coming months and years.

The more we do these things now, the less effective
    any sort of infringement of our rights will be when
    the forces of evil regain control of our government.

11. Likes CenTexDave, ithoughtso, Dagobert II liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just wanting to bump this thread and remind people that the threat hasn't gone away.

Why People Stopped Prepping, South Africa, California Secession
    ThePatriotNurse Published on Jun 14, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DsMFv1yC8

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Silver is back in that "now is the time to buy category. As was pointed out previously in this thread, it probably isn't a good investment if you plan to turn it back into cash within the next few years, but some of us have other plans.
    Once again, silver is back in that price range
    where it may be worthwhile to look at.

I used to buy some from AMPEX, and still
    get their alerts, but I have all I need now.
    Price of Silver dropped a little below $15.40 a couple times in the past few days.

I attribute the low prices to confidence the Patriots have in Trump,
    and the good policies he has been able to push through, in spite
    of the Demoncrats.

This won't go on forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    For 25 years, Global Warming and "Anthropological Climate Change" have been "settled science" without a shred of evidence, other than the man made evidence (in other words, cheating or lying), but as avian flue repeatedly spread around the world, "the experts" didn't believe it was carried by birds. Right.

http://afludiary.blogspot.com/2018/0...-eurasian.html
    Four short years ago there was still a bitter debate over whether migratory birds were A) capable of spreading HPAI viruses over long distances and B) whether migratory birds could bring Eurasian avian flu viruses to North America by crossing the Bering straits.
    While it was known that some waterfowl species could carry HPAI viruses asymptomatically, the rallying cry that `Sick birds don’t fly’ was often used to argue that migratory birds couldn't be to blame for the international spread of the virus (see India: The H5N1 & Migratory Birds Debate).
    In January of 2014, in response to the South Korean assertion that migratory Birds were the likely source of their H5N8 outbreak, the UN's Scientific Task Force on Avian Influenza and Wild Birds quickly issued a statement saying:
    "There is currently no evidence that wild birds are the source of this virus and they should be considered victims not vectors."
    A year later they would modify their stance somewhat, by saying that typically the `. . . spread of HPAI virus is via contaminated poultry, poultry products and inanimate objects although wild birds may also play a role'.

The great leap of HPAI H5N8 from Asia to North America in late 2014, and its spread to Europe, the Middle East, and Africa in 2016-17, have pretty much cemented the role of migratory birds in spreading HPAI viruses across long distances (see Migratory Birds & The Spread Of Highly Pathogenic Avian Flu).
    OK, so now we officially know what some of us knew for many years.

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast