Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: General Prepper's Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronErnin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For any that're interested, I can show you how to build a mandrel and how to knit chain armor.
    Zip Cleaners used to be an excellent source for 14ga steel wire. They sold it for cents per pound.
    BTW, chain armor is most effective against stabbing attacks. It works decently against other types of attacks.
    Mandrel? Is that a tool component that grips or clamps the wire so you can weave it?
    Mail is useful against most knife attacks, whether slashing or thrusting, as long as the knife isn't thin like a stiletto.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    Mandrel? Is that a tool component that grips or clamps the wire so you can weave it?
    Mail is useful against most knife attacks, whether slashing or thrusting, as long as the knife isn't thin like a stiletto.
    Stiletto? Isn't that a high heel?
    Just kidding. . . Carry on.

3. LOL Mestral LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    A mandrel is the device with which one makes the coils that are made into links.
    As to effectiveness against stabbing attacks, that will depend largely upon the pattern used. The author of a seminal tome on practical chainmail in the modern era once constructed a hauberk (shirt) with a 6 in 1 pattern that completely defeated penetration by a field tipped arrow fired from a 150lb bow.
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    Still, any prep is better than no prep. I have sent my daughter some water purification/storage stuff as well as rations in case of Hurricanes (she's in Florida panhandle) along with firestarting materials.

She works for Wlamart warehose in Panama Beach and has acess to overstock bulk prepper supplies and I am looking at some of the "pre packaged" kits they offer. Problem with that stuff is that the supplies are based on a"guess" at what you may need or like more than what you actually know you will need.

Water and fuel are going to be the first items that will be "hot buttons" on D day.
    There is nothing really wrong with "pre-packaged" stuff, but it is one size fits all (as you already pointed out) and it isn't real cheap for what you get. Old school preppers stash raw materials, so they can prepare foods from them after the melt down (I refuse to call it Apocalypse, as this has little or nothing to do with "The Revelation" in the Bible). If she can get some of the bulk prepper supplies at a price substantially below what Sam's normally sells it for, then it could be a good deal.

OK, getting back to the theme of prepping for a general contingency condition, I found a site that has some good info on prepping without breaking the bank.
    https://sites.google.com/site/southernbelleprepper/
    She has some good insights, and some articles on "lessons learned" such as this one:
    https://sites.google.com/site/southe...s-from-katrina

She also has an article on skills (what separates the real, hard core, old school, prepper from the rest) that includes how to make fire starter fuel.
    https://sites.google.com/site/southe...money-is-tight
    Look for "char cloth" in the article.

Post Thanks / Like
    You hit on one very good pieceof advice with the canned goods. They are cheap, last forever, and take up almost no room. Plus, they contain valuable water.

Even a small shed or garage could hold enough to last a family of 3 for a year or more, and wouldn't be all that much of a budget burden.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmm, cans. Just to do a very rough estimate:
    A case is 4x6 cans or about 16x24inches, so beginning with a planned stack 3 cases by 3 cases, that would be about 4x6 feet. The can count for a layer would be 216. Now 6 cans per day per person for a year would be just over 2000 cans per person, make it 2160 for ease of math, would require 10 layers per person. Figuring a can is about 5in tall, that would be just about 4 feet tall. So that comes out to a stack 4feet by 6feet by 4feet tall, weighing a little over a ton, for each person. Cost would be about $2000 per person.

It can be done.

The next step would be to figure out a menu. Six cans times 7 days is 42. So make a list of what each of the 42 different cans for a week would be. Of course it wouldn't have to be 42 different cans, some of them could be the same.

The really hard part is getting that diet balanced.
    Then figuring out how to build the stack, since there would be a variety of different sized cans.

This, of course, is just a basic food store idea, and since canned foods DO have a life expectancy, some basic idea of how to rotate most of the stocks should be thought out.
    Last edited by Mestral; September 21st, 2013 at 5:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Then He said to them, “Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions.” And He told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man was very productive. And he began reasoning to himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?’ Then he said, ‘This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry.”’ But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?’ So is the man who stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.” Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Then He said to them, “Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions.” And He told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man was very productive. And he began reasoning to himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?’ Then he said, ‘This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry.”’ But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?’ So is the man who stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.” Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
    Damn didn't know I was reading the religion section!

10. LOL Mestral LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing he posts is religious. Fear not friend.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

12. Likes xzochye liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, sure it is...I know the passage well, and have taken the ultimate measure of preperation that is called salvation through grace.

The canned goods are for a case where the lord isn't calling me home just yet, but a time of need arises. If it is my time, then my plans have already been prepared for. If that is the case, those suffering the tribulation are welcome to whatever I leave behind.

Save some to share with Scarlett.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

14. Likes Night Owl, Mestral liked this post
    LOL Night Owl, Mestral LOL'd at this post
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast