Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Thread: General Prepper's Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    actually, i've heard it said that there have been less hurricanes during the last 50 years than the 50 years prior. In addition, there have been less hurricanes from 1918 through today than there were 1818 through 1918. it's not correct to say that "hurricanes have been on the upswing because.........well because they haven't,
    Well, whoever told you that was talking through their hat.
    In fact no one knows how many hurricanes there were from 1818 thru 1918.
    They only know there were several.

but in any case, nothing that happens here on earth has anything to do with hurricanes or, as you suggested, climate change, anyway......
    The climate here on Earth is changing.
    Always was changing, and always will be changing,
    until Jesus sets up His Kingdom here.
    Mankind is not in charge.

personally, I believe we have much more to fear from a Yellowstone volcano or a wayward meteor or comet than we have from a hurricane or climate change........mac
    Well, I don't see any point in disputing what you believe on that.
    No one really knows.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post

The climate here on Earth is changing.
    the weather may change.......but not the climate......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Macs quote on the hurricane frequency was on FOX news last night during an interview with a doctoral climatologist who stated that hurricane frequency has actually decreased since the mid 1800s. Fewer in the past 50 years than the 50 to 100 years before that. One of the reasons that reporting on the numbers is so discordant is due to reporting methods and record keeping.

The way that the MSM plays this numbers game is to highlight the number of catastrophic events during the Trump era and downplaying the events during democrat administrations. Those reported during republican admins are caused by political inaction towards global warming, and the events reported during other admins is reported as being caused by previous republican administrations and because of the democrat administrations, progress to prevent them has been made through regulatory actions. It is total BS of course, but weak minded folks who do not research the data are convinced of it.

Weather is always changing, and earth is famous for being a self correcting mechanism when climates change. We have ice ages and warming trends that last for thousands of years. Our ecology is billions of years old, and has gone countless changes due to natural reasons a long time before man became a factor. The planet is constantly moving closer to the sun, which is actually growing as it burns out its nuclear fuel. Eventually the planet will be incinerated by an expanding sun. No help needed at all by mankind to reach this result. It is a natural occurrence, and the ultimate fate of all solar type systems unless the solar parent is so large it becomes a black hole, or so small it becomes a white dwarf and everything freezes over.

When the planet gets warmer, water evaporates faster and we get more cooling rains. When it cools to the point where things freeze, water becomes ice and the humidity levels drop to the point that things warm up over time due to these lower humidity levels. This is why ice ages are always followed by warming trends and a reversal of glacial sheets over the northern and southern regions of the planet.

The entire eco movement that is so popular on the left today is merely a ruse to propose doing away with carbon based energy. Eventually, carbon based energy will phase itself out and we will have to find something else to blame global woes on, and the democrats will have to find a new crusade to hinge their hopes on. In other words, these idiots just like raising hell about something. Any resemblance to actual science is purely coincidental.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

4. Likes gnatsum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    Macs quote on the hurricane frequency was on FOX news last night during an interview with a doctoral climatologist who stated that hurricane frequency has actually decreased since the mid 1800s. Fewer in the past 50 years than the 50 to 100 years before that. One of the reasons that reporting on the numbers is so discordant is due to reporting methods and record keeping.
    Record keeping has been so poor until the 1960's that we really don't know if they were increasing or decreasing before that. In the past dozen years there has been an upswing, just as there probably was during the warming period just before the "mini ice age." They are also bringing more rain, and you touch on the reason as you describe the "self correcting mechanism" earth has for climate. The warming of the oceans is bringing heavier rains and more rains to some places. This will reverse in due time, as it did several hundred years ago.

The way that the MSM plays this numbers game is to highlight the number of catastrophic events during the Trump era and downplaying the events during democrat administrations. Those reported during republican admins are caused by political inaction towards global warming, and the events reported during other admins is reported as being caused by previous republican administrations and because of the democrat administrations, progress to prevent them has been made through regulatory actions. It is total BS of course, but weak minded folks who do not research the data are convinced of it.
    The MSM are evil, and play to idiots, of course.

Weather is always changing, and earth is famous for being a self correcting mechanism when climates change. We have ice ages and warming trends that last for thousands of years. Our ecology is billions of years old, and has gone countless changes due to natural reasons a long time before man became a factor. The planet is constantly moving closer to the sun, which is actually growing as it burns out its nuclear fuel. Eventually the planet will be incinerated by an expanding sun. No help needed at all by mankind to reach this result. It is a natural occurrence, and the ultimate fate of all solar type systems unless the solar parent is so large it becomes a black hole, or so small it becomes a white dwarf and everything freezes over.
    I agree, except that I think the dwarf becomes a red dwarf, and eventually cools until it produces no discernible light, just like a white hot piece of iron cools to read and then fades out. (At least that is the way I remember it.)

When the planet gets warmer, water evaporates faster and we get more cooling rains. When it cools to the point where things freeze, water becomes ice and the humidity levels drop to the point that things warm up over time due to these lower humidity levels. This is why ice ages are always followed by warming trends and a reversal of glacial sheets over the northern and southern regions of the planet.

The entire eco movement that is so popular on the left today is merely a ruse to propose doing away with carbon based energy. Eventually, carbon based energy will phase itself out and we will have to find something else to blame global woes on, and the democrats will have to find a new crusade to hinge their hopes on. In other words, these idiots just like raising hell about something. Any resemblance to actual science is purely coincidental.
    I agree. Right now we seem to be near the top of the warming cycle, and I expect some day it will reverse, whether in 2 years or 102 years. (Of course, I don't think God will wait another 100 years.)

We know we have enough carbon based fuel to last 100 years, and can put off that pesky "peak oil" thing for at least 40. Knowing this probably enrages the weak minded eco nuts that are insisting we move to solar and wind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post

I agree, except that I think the dwarf becomes a red dwarf,
    nope, "white" dwarf is the correct term....ie, even smaller and denser than a red dwarf. a red dwarf goes out with a bang, a white dwarf goes out with a wimper.......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    OK, I guess I learned wrong. I will blame it on books that were written before Copernicus

Post Thanks / Like
    White or Red Dwarf? It really does not matter to anyone other than a cosmologist, professional (what a waste of money) or amateur.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    White or Red Dwarf? It really does not matter to anyone other than a cosmologist, professional (what a waste of money) or amateur.
    Why would it matter to someone applying makeup and doing hairstyles
    (Yes, I know I am wrong...)

10. LOL fchafey, Night Owl, just2cents LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It is often said that preppers don't prep for disaster, the prep for what comes after the disaster.
    Well, we are not alone in that thinking. While the below articles (especially the second one) focus on earthquakes, a similar discussion could be had about any disaster.

http://afludiary.blogspot.com/2018/1...cascading.html
    Friday, October 19, 2018
    HHS ASPR: Major Earthquakes & Cascading Events - Potential Health & Medical Implications
    When a major earthquake strikes, a CAT 5 hurricane makes landfall, or a `Carrington'-class CME slams into our planet, the initial destruction sets into motion innumerable cascading events that can either do more damage, or can significantly hinder recovery efforts.
    A simple example comes from our recent bout of major hurricanes. Thousands of downed trees and flooding across roadways can prevent emergency vehicles from reaching the trapped or injured.
    But of course, it is always more complicated than that.

In Puerto Rico, damaged port facilities and other infrastructure after hurricane Maria significantly disrupted recovery efforts. Power was out, roads and bridges were washed away, and communications were down all over the island.

While many people think they only need to make it through the storm, or the initial shaking of an earthquake, the real test comes surviving in the aftermath. As Hurricanes Maria and Katrina have showed us, even achieving some semblance of normalcy after a major disaster can take months, or sometimes even years (see Post-Disaster Sequelae).
    That article links to the following article, for more in depth discussion, from gov agency point of view:
    https://files.asprtracie.hhs.gov/doc...plications.pdf
    Potential Cascading Events Resulting From Earthquakes

Earthquakes can either cause or be caused by other significant disasters, known as “cascading
    events.”2 Earthquakes can trigger tsunamis that can impact not only the earthquake-affected
    area, but other countries and regions that share the same bodies of water. Leaks from nuclear
    power stations or releases from hazardous material storage facilities (e.g., hazardous materials,
    byproducts, radiation) can negatively impact population health, even miles from the initial
    earthquake zone, depending on meteorological conditions. Additionally, bridge and dam
    collapses can lead to additional flooding events and infrastructure damage; and...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, in California they are stocking up on Unicorn farts for their limos when the gas runs out... And bunkering Avian water bottles... Plus extra batteries so they can call 911 when things go south for them.

Hope they can get those with Spanish instructions on them.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

13. LOL Ricky, Mestral LOL'd at this post
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast