Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: General Prepper's Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To include syphoning equipment to get gas out of cars, if needed...
    And I bet you stay in practice.

The best siphoning kit I know is a bucket, hammer anf cross tip screwdriver.
    Last edited by Night Owl; April 14th, 2013 at 2:52 PM.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

2. Likes Dagobert II liked this post
    LOL sojourner truth LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Killeen recycle yard used to have 55 gal. drums. I know the airport gets them, (for glycol) and has to pay to get them hauled off. Also, there is a fuel supply store on old 195/Ft. Hood street that has them stacked up outside for sale. We used to get them for our fuel yard at the airport. Also, I made a few BBQ grilles w/smokers out of them when I had a welder.

Most of your gun/ammo sites have stuff for survival for sale. To include water storage containers, purification kits, fire starter materials, clothing, MRE's, and that sort of stuff. Cheaper than dirt and Sportsmans guide are hounding me daily with specials on that stuff. I have most of it already. To include syphoning equipment to get gas out of cars, if needed...
    Paying to have them hauled off in these days should be a FWA issue. I am pretty sure there are people who would do it for free, since they have a resale value.

Where along 195? Is this closer to Rancier Gate, K-Mart, Blockbuster, or Guns Galore? I'd like to take a look there.

You might find Owls method of siphoning more productive on today's vehicles. Most of them have anti-siphoning features. (Note: I am NOT advocating this, and I am sure the others are saying it in jest also, as this is akin to looting)
    Last edited by Mestral; April 14th, 2013 at 5:17 PM.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    The place I'm thinking of, if it's still there, is around the welding supply store. More around the Twin Lakes tractor place.

I have a siphoning device to get gas out of my own cars, if it is ever needed. When you stop and think of it, in my case, thats almost 50 gallonsof gas. When the doo doo hits the fan, I doubt if anyone will be driving anywhere, since resupply is not going to happen any time soon.

It would have to be a pretty dire situation before I would even consider taking someone elses property. But I will say, my neighbor better keep an eye on her Pomeranians....I hear they taste just like chicken.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

5. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The place I'm thinking of, if it's still there, is around the welding supply store. More around the Twin Lakes tractor place.

I have a siphoning device to get gas out of my own cars, if it is ever needed. When you stop and think of it, in my case, thats almost 50 gallonsof gas. When the doo doo hits the fan, I doubt if anyone will be driving anywhere, since resupply is not going to happen any time soon.

It would have to be a pretty dire situation before I would even consider taking someone elses property. But I will say, my neighbor better keep an eye on her Pomeranians....I hear they taste just like chicken.
    I assumed you were and are joking (they don't taste like chicken) but I have one of those siphon things to siphen gas into a car, in case I find myself with a container too heavy to hold at shoulder level.

7. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just to catch up on some of the stuff that was mentioned on this thread.

I did another round through some of the surplus stores, including the one SJ mentioned to me a few days ago. (Along Stan Schluter, near Reese Creek Elementary, right next to a Texaco station) Medium sized ammo boxes are back down to a reasonable price, $15 painted, $13 unpainted. Kevlar is still ridiculously expensive, but if anyone seriously wants to discuss it, body armor should be a thread all its own, as there is too much variety to cover here. I didn't find the store with the 55 gal drums, but I was going by memory, and that is a no-no for me.

The old trioxane tablets for heating rations and starting other fires, and all products like them are sold out or otherwise not there. Don't know why. Magnesium starters are still plentiful. I found 5.56 magazines and self inflating sleeping mats at the surplus store on old 440, and ammo boxes at that store and its sister store on Willow Springs. Both also have BDU type uniforms of both the old and new variety. And combat boots. The store on Stan Schluter has a lot of uniform items, including police and EMS, and does some kind of sewing or alterations, I think.

I don't recommend buying MRE's from survival sites or surplus stores - ever. The reasons are many.

For food storage for short term emergencies, nothing beats good old tin cans. I have a little of everything in cans, including milk.

For deep larder, you need to think of storing the raw materials, and there are articles on those topics. I can find links to the good ones, if anyone is interested.

Medical supplies were also mentioned, and in the aftermath of what has happened in the past few weeks, this should be followed up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll be taking another round through the surplus stores soon. If anyone wants me to keep an eye out for something in particular, let me know. No promises, but I'll give it a shot.

Just as a trivia point:
    What separates the "prepper" from the "hoarder?"
    Detailed Inventories.
    (And being able to verbalize why they keep any particular items.)

10. Likes Dagobert II, HistoryTeacher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I took a look at the Sam's Club web site yesterday, and noticed they have become "prepper friendly." But I also noticed there has been a shift in prepper trends, towards the ready made, ready packed, stuff. So, now we seem have old school preppers and new school preppers (not a good school, lazy).
    I would say I am about 2/3 old school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still, any prep is better than no prep. I have sent my daughter some water purification/storage stuff as well as rations in case of Hurricanes (she's in Florida panhandle) along with firestarting materials.

She works for Wlamart warehose in Panama Beach and has acess to overstock bulk prepper supplies and I am looking at some of the "pre packaged" kits they offer. Problem with that stuff is that the supplies are based on a"guess" at what you may need or like more than what you actually know you will need.

Water and fuel are going to be the first items that will be "hot buttons" on D day.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

13. Likes Mestral liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For any that're interested, I can show you how to build a mandrel and how to knit chain armor.
    Zip Cleaners used to be an excellent source for 14ga steel wire. They sold it for cents per pound.
    BTW, chain armor is most effective against stabbing attacks. It works decently against other types of attacks.
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    I'll be taking another round through the surplus stores soon. If anyone wants me to keep an eye out for something in particular, let me know. No promises, but I'll give it a shot.

Just as a trivia point:
    What separates the "prepper" from the "hoarder?"
    Detailed Inventories.
    (And being able to verbalize why they keep any particular items.)
    Claymore mines and LAWS.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

16. LOL Mestral LOL'd at this post
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast