Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting critter out of the chimney?

Post Thanks / Like

Getting critter out of the chimney?

I can't tell what it is, but I assume from the scratching it's a squirrel. How in the world do I get it out without letting it in the house? The sound is definitely grating on my nerves, and I want a fire in the fireplace tonight without having BBQ critter. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Light a fire in the fireplace. Lots of smoke will get it out of there. And tomorrow call a chimney sweep, have it cleaned and put a chimney cap on it.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

3. Thanks olderthandirt thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    But here's my fear - when I open the flue (or whatever you call that switch), will it fall thru? Also, I do have a chimney cap/ screen thing at the top, but my guess is there's a hole in it somewhere. Suggestions on who to call are appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is a squirrel just open a door and it'll run outside. I doubt he wants in your house anymore than you want it there.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

6. Thanks olderthandirt thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure it's in the chimney? Could be a bird. If there is a hole in the chimney you do not want to build a fire. Get the chimney checked to be on the safe side.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

8. Thanks olderthandirt thanked this post
    Likes IronErnin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the chimney cleaned earlier this year, so I feel pretty secure that it's safe without holes. The last time I had a fire, it was clear to the outside without smoke. Besides, I hear the scratching on metal like it's trying to climb out. It's a sound that makes you want to scream "Ewwwww......!"

Thanks for all the help/ suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like

Getting critter out of the chimney?

Get a box or plastic tote and put it in your fireplace. That way when you open the flue it will fall in that. Cover it real fast and run like crazy with it to the closest open door.
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

11. Likes CenTexDave, olderthandirt liked this post
    LOL CenTexDave, engteach64 LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't rule out birds that may have built a nest inside and fallen out... and will be hard to get out if they are sitting behind the flue door. I used to have my won brushes and clean my own, but son takes care of it for me now. This is not much help I know just a comment.

http://mcpuffchimneysweep.com/Inside.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    No birds this time of year. If you can pinpoint the noise way down the chimney to the flue you are probably right - a squirrel and is having trouble climbing out.
    Follow Xzochye's instructions, but have a shotgun handy just in case.

14. LOL olderthandirt LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, fingers crossed -- my son gets home from work around 5, so that's the timeframe for the "great escape". It will either be a fast success, or I'll be calling an ambulance for a heart attack! I'm too old to be messing with this kind of craziness! I think I need a drink.....

16. LOL Night Owl, CenTexDave, cnjbond LOL'd at this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast