Thread: Winter tomatoes

Post Thanks / Like

Winter tomatoes

I had a grand idea to try an over-winter tomato garden on the south side of my house, but the fierce wind blew the cover off my two experimental tomato plants on one of the bitter cold nights we've had and the experiment froze up. I'm just curious if anyone has tried planting late tomatoes for a late crop...any suggestions. I LOVE home-grown tomatoes, and my summer tomatoes have been pretty sad the past few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Green house. Easy to build. There all kinds of plans on the Internet.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    My mom found a little greenhouse that you put together yourself, and got it on clearance for 20 or 25 dollars. She got it at K Mart or Target. If you are unsure of building a greenhouse, start with the cheap store bought one, and if it goes well, then build one. I'd love a greenhouse, but unfortunately I have a black thumb when it comes to plants.

Post Thanks / Like
    The easiest one I have found is using bales of hay. Use bales to build the sides either one to two high. Cover the ground inside with 4-6 inches of hay. Add potting soil and dirt, 50/50 mix, about six inches deep. Put heating lamps inside. Plant your crop. Cover with a clear Heavy duty plastic tarp. on nice days pull the tarp back and on cold days use the lamps to maintain air temp around 60 degrees so plants don't freeze. Hay sides and floor serves as insulation and provides nutrients to you crop. Spring time remove hay from the sides and spread aoung your garden.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

5. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have dug up tomatoes and peppers and put them in 10 gallon pots. Over the winter I moved them indoors whenever the temp was supposed to be below 40. I have been able to keep some plants going over 2 years, but they seem to be more susceptible to disease in the 2nd year outside.
    Fun project though, and it is cool to have a fresh tomato or pepper in January.

Post Thanks / Like
    This doesn't relate to tomatoes, but if you like green onions, mine are still green in the garden (we planted a ton) and have resisted all the crazy weather. When we need some, we just go out there and pick 'em! They are very good!

"It's on like bing bong!!!"