Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Here I go again...

Post Thanks / Like
    It's Rust-Oleum. The box will say either "countertop" or "cabinets." I'm still working on tearing down the backsplash. It's taking longer than expected, and my son has pink eye (we think), so we have slowed down. I still want to get this done this week, but I need my son to help so it goes smoothly.

2. Thanks siamcat thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by engteach64 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Attachment 3183Attachment 3184Attachment 3185Attachment 3186Attachment 3187

I was only able to attach a couple pictures. This doesn't work like it does on my computer, so I'm playing here. You'll notice the beautiful countertops in my house, and realize quite quickly why I am changing them.

The third pictures is turned on its side. That's actually the cabinet minus the laminate "back splash." I've pulled a bunch of the back splash off, and have removed the mirror above the sink. Gradually removing laminate from the walls every time I go into the kitchen.
    I looked at that paint / cover your countertops. My avocado green 1970's plastic countertops make yours look gorgeous. Unfortunately, my countertops are in real good condition, and I can't justify the expense just because I don't like them...the linoleum floor, however, is another story; hubby looking into something called a "floating" floor (??whatever that is). I'd post a picture for you to snicker at, but I don't know how.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trust me, my house is from the 1970s. I would not snicker at you. We finished taking down the "back splash" today. They put it up on top of holes that were not repaired, so tomorrow I go back to my favorite store, Lowe's, and get mud and tape. I want the walls mudded and sanded before I do the countertops. I'm OCD that way. I can't do the backsplash right now, so at least the walls will look okay until I can get it. I'm hoping to have the countertops finished by the weekend. Here's hoping everything goes according to plan. I will post more pictures as I finish.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0286.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	3193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0287.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	3194
    Last edited by engteach64; January 1st, 2013 at 4:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I looked at that paint / cover your countertops. My avocado green 1970's plastic countertops make yours look gorgeous. Unfortunately, my countertops are in real good condition, and I can't justify the expense just because I don't like them...the linoleum floor, however, is another story; hubby looking into something called a "floating" floor (??whatever that is). I'd post a picture for you to snicker at, but I don't know how.
    The first improvement on our house was the kitchen floor. That linoleum turned ugly fast. It was a pain to pull it up but after almost 10 years the tile still looks nice.
    Then went the carpets. They were nasty after 6 years. Plus we found cigarette butts under them. We put in cheap wood floor that still looks nice after 8 years.
    The next thing we're saving for is the master bath, had the second bathroom done since it was in worse shape from the kids.
    The last thing is new kitchen cabinets and of course we need to replace our fence.
    It seems the work is never done, but we almost have it the way we want it.
    Now if we could just win the lotto we'll be set.

6. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear you. When I bought my house they asked what I wanted done before I agreed to buy. They had already said they were replacing the roof. I said new fence, new deck (both were warped very bad), toilet straightened, ceiling repaired, and a few other odds and ends. So I am now doing the stuff I want done. The kitchen is the only really ugly part of the house. After the kitchen, I may put a jetted tub in the guest bathroom, mine is too small. Everything I do I do with resale value in mind. I don't go overboard, but slowly upgrade.

Siamcat, maybe I should just have you guys come over and help me. You seem to have lots of practice.

8. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by siamcat View Post
    The first improvement on our house was the kitchen floor. That linoleum turned ugly fast. It was a pain to pull it up but after almost 10 years the tile still looks nice.
    Then went the carpets. They were nasty after 6 years. Plus we found cigarette butts under them. We put in cheap wood floor that still looks nice after 8 years.
    The next thing we're saving for is the master bath, had the second bathroom done since it was in worse shape from the kids.
    The last thing is new kitchen cabinets and of course we need to replace our fence.
    It seems the work is never done, but we almost have it the way we want it.
    Now if we could just win the lotto we'll be set.
    I wish I knew how to do this kind of stuff on my own. I just have no decorative/handyman talent what-so-ever! I am lucky I can paint my walls!

10. Likes CenTexDave, Mr. Lucky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have a very handy husband. My job was to pick out colors and hand him things as he's working.
    A hammer, the screwdriver, a beer.....

12. LOL Night Owl, CenTexDave, Mr. Lucky LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't handy at all. I was married for 25 years, and he did everything. I chose colors, and did clean up. That's it. When I bought this house I decided I could do the jobs I wanted. Once my son and I started doing the work we felt so good about it. To say "I did this" is something that really makes me feel good. If I don't know how to do something, I look it up online and figure it out. I learned how to thread the weed eater through youtube. So xzochye, you can do it too. Trust me, if I can do it anyone can. The biggest thing I learned was not to move on to another project until I finish the one I'm working on. A lifetime of unfinished projects in my house taught me that.

14. Likes xzochye, CenTexDave, Mr. Lucky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by siamcat View Post
    Well, I have a very handy husband. My job was to pick out colors and hand him things as he's working.
    A hammer, the screwdriver, a beer.....
    Is he for hire? I will supply all the tools and beer he wants! LOL

16. LOL siamcat, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    xzochye! This is my thread, so I get first dibs on borrowed handymen husbands!

...okay, on hindsight that didn't sound very good, but you all know what I mean.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast