Thread: Need some tree advice/ideas!

Post Thanks / Like

Need some tree advice/ideas!

So... we are moving into our new home this weekend. I'm hoping within the next month or so to add a few trees to our yard (I grew up in a deep forest and having no trees makes me sad). I would like to find trees that have either colorful blossoms or have colorful leaves (I'm looking into getting a Japanese Red Maple, but I'm still researching how well they'd do in my yard). I would also like to get some sort of palm tree (maybe a sago palm as a shrub-height for in front of the house). Does anyone have any suggestions for trees or shrubs that fit those descriptions?
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    The type of tree you select depends also on how fast you want sahde. Texas ash grows very fast, and provides a ton of shade, and is much more disease and bug resistant than Arizona ash. I love Memosas for their beautiful aroma at blossom time, but can't find any for sale because they have been declared an "invasive" species by the state of Texas. (I would reserve that classification for Cedar alone). Memosas, and any other flowering type tree is that they are very "messy" at least 2 to 3 times a year with droppings all over the yard and cars.

China berry is pretty nice. The traditional Oak trees are the longest lived, and most desired tree, but take forever to grow to any usable height.

The nursery on old 440 has a lady there that knows her trees and can really give you an education on anything you want to know. She also has a good selection, and (most importantly) carries nothing but disease free trees. I hope she's still there.

You'd be surprised how many people buy diseased trees because they don't know what to look for. Hope you find what you're looking for.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    The nursery on old 440 is called "Oma's Pflantzen Garden." It is right across the street from the Lutheran cemetary; pretty sure the intersection is old 440 and Ginger. She's still there and is quite knowledgeable on what will grow best locally. I planted a red oak in 2000 and it just now getting to a really nice height. But it had been badly damaged by a careless tree pruner five years ago. Slow growing, but worth the beauty and the time, especially if you plan on living in your home for a long time...my oak hasn't once been attacked by web worms, and survived the infamous heat / drought with no signs of stress at all with only a little extra watering. Besides my grandchildren love to collect the little acorns. I have cups full of them in my china cabinet.

Mimosas are gorgeous and fragrant, but they are "dirty." Balance the beauty with the clean-up. I love their feathery leaves, but the seed pods are toxic. Didn't know they were hard to find around here. My neighbor just planted one.

I haven't seen many Japanese Red Maples around; don't know how well they'll fare. Silver maples are a nice choice. Their lighter shade of green leaves contrasts nicely with darker trees. Some people do have luck (or skill) with magnolia. Never worked for me, but I'm not known for green thumb skills.

Texas A&M has a large horticultural section on its website with lots of advice for growing green things in Texas.
    Last edited by Imagine; September 17th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.

4. Likes sojourner truth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are some recommended trees on this list that you might want to consider. http://texassuperstar.com/plants/index.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to know where Imagines friend got the Mimosas.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want to know where Imagines friend got the Mimosas.
    I have seen them for sale at the PX. Almost bought one this summer but we were in a friends car. By the time we got back with my truck it was gone

8. Thanks sojourner truth thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw something the other day that reminded me of just how ingenious our soldiers are...A backyard with a huge camoflage net over it. Now that is using your noodle. You get great shade, and when you PCS you take it with you. GO ARMY.

10. LOL xzochye LOL'd at this post
    Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a notice I received from the local gardening group!

BELL COUNTY MASTER GARDENERS FALL PLANT SALE!!!
    #
    Saturday, September 22nd from 7:00 AM until 1:00 PM.
    Bell County Agrilife Office, 1605 N. Main Street, Belton, TX
    #
    Trees for Fall Planting#### Fall Vegetables### Herbs
    Hardy Perennials##### Variety of Roses
    Expert Demonstrations by Master Gardeners
    Rainwater Harvesting – Drip Irrigation – Composting – Beekeeping
    Ask A Master Gardener Booth
    #
    For a complete list of plants visit our web site at:#
    http://txmg.org/bell/
    #
    #
    I've been to their sale, and it's quite easy to find, even if you're unfamiliar with Belton. Main Street=Hwy 317.

12. Thanks cnjbond, liessemsed thanked this post
    Likes sojourner truth liked this post