Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: District 8-5a Week 0 Scores

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you find the rankings?

Post Thanks / Like
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

3. Thanks xzochye thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

District 8-5a Week 0 Scores

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you for saying that. All these teams are doing great, even Ellison football. They are well organized and coached. Talent in High School means alot as far as winning games. I honestly think that all the local schools are in great shape and are well coached. Some better coached thatn others but talent sometimes goes in circles at the high school level.
    Coaching by far supersedes talent on any level. Now if a well coached staff with no talent plays a well coached staff with talent then the talent will be the tie breaker. With that said some of the local schools particularly Killeen have battles aside from talent and coaching with the kids and the factors that take place up in the building. Kids failing, not having the ability to have the period due to taks classes, or kids having to work are also a factor in high school football that can take the wind out of anyone's or teams sails. Height and Ellison have a better and larger talent pool that have the ability to sidestep those problems of money and grades that I listed for the most part. Shoemaker has issues completely in of itself with the whole here today gone tomorrow turnover in staff and players. Ellison is poorly managed in my opinion, notice I didn't say coaches but managed because they have mismanaged the talent pool there. Teams don't just fall off the map like they have since Boyd and walker left, but I'm sure there is some poor coaching decisions being made as well. Heights is a wanna be well off school that has no true identity on what they really are. A school with some middle to lower class kids that have the same issues as the other schools in town just not as drastic, they cater a bit to much and they seem to be more interested in bullying the local kisd teams with their talent rather then trying to find something that will help them win consistently against the beltons, temples, and steal one from cove. They have to many d1 players to be so piss poor at times, mismanagement of talent? Is it a kisd thing? They seem to enjoy going out of the district and finding coaches that really don't understand the area or the kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are so right on understanding an area and how a community works. Kids are different and react differently in communitities that have certain expectations. I have watched Cove for years be one of the smallest teams, yet play like big guys. Killeen does a good job of playing hard and with heart. Those coaches do a good job. I do think Ellison and Heights have the most talent and I personally think their coaches do a good job. Some of the expectations and management comes from inside the community and school. I really believe this entire area of teams are special. They do a good job and some better than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you really believe Ellison has the most talent????
    Even a team lousy coaching but great talent should win a few games each season.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not know if they have great talent but over the last few years the speed they have has been some of the best in central Texas and Texas. Overall I wouldnt say great but I do think pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    Do you really believe Ellison has the most talent????
    Even a team lousy coaching but great talent should win a few games each season.
    Great question, I think Ellison and heights get the highest percentage of quality players. If you look at the middle school records you'd see what I'm talking about. Rancier is hit or miss depending on the talent pool and that's the schools main feeder. Heights and Ellison routinely have feeders with good records but I don't know how well they cultivate their talent. It's the knock on duke basketball, their players come in great and somehow become less talented in the nba. So to answer your question, yes and no, they (heights and shoemaker) initially have the most and the best players and for whatever reason be it quitting, ran off, injuries, grades or whatever they are underperforming.

Post Thanks / Like
    And coaching has nothing to do with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    And coaching has nothing to do with it?
    Of course, but its a different aspect of coaching. It's not the play calling, schemes, conceptual part of the game plan more so having a good off season coordinator and a good freshman and jv program. Most people concentrate solely on their varsity every year and spend little to zero time with the freshman. Perhaps that is part of the problem for those schools. That their is no growth mentally and physically with program kids that they have that are asked to step in their senior years and start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Predicted finish District 8-5a
    Midway 9 starters both ways back
    Temple D1 QB
    Belton strong returning class
    Killeen Lots of returners
    Copperas Cove too many new faces, QB-RB
    Shoemaker-Big jump
    Heights-lost some starters
    Ellison-building

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast