Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Killeen Daily Herald

Post Thanks / Like

Killeen Daily Herald

There was not any articles in the KDH about the local teams' scrimmages on Saturday. Do some of you agree that the paper is deficient in reporting. If a former athlete or any current athlete gets in trouble, there is a blown-up story but where is the thorough in-depth coverage of the current hard working, self-sacrificing high school, college and pro players? It seems the sports writers do not care as much. Do not misunderstand, there is consistent articles on current teams and players. I just believe there could be much more thorough in-depth coverage. Might just be my perception of the newspaper. I'd like to see good, positive coverage of all-sports in the local high schools.

2. Thanks sojourner truth, Bob_Popular thanked this post
    Likes xzochye, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, but as usual, it's just plain lack of numbers.
    Right now they are all covering girls' volleyball too.
    I was disappointed there was nothing about Cove's scrimmage in Abilene. Very interested in how the Dawgs looked against one of the top teams in the state. Nobody I know could tell me a thing.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Small town small staff, it is also important to note that aside from Cove and Killeen the area is full of stinkers. If Heights were heading into the season coming off of a state championship then I am sure they would get some love, but since they could not make the playoffs in a weak district they as well as the other schools get no love.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally think the writers want to grandstand on issues and editorials instead of writing about the local teams. Who cares about what a writer is predicting for the year. I would like to see good, positive articles about the kids and their teams.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Dave...not enough reporters to cover everything that is going on right now...KDH might have 4 on staff right now...and to be honest, you're not going to be able to report much from a scrimmage...you could get some comments from coaches and see a little bit but I don't believe that it's worth reporting...you would just get opinions...

7. Likes Ifrit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RooDawg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with Dave...not enough reporters to cover everything that is going on right now...KDH might have 4 on staff right now...and to be honest, you're not going to be able to report much from a scrimmage...you could get some comments from coaches and see a little bit but I don't believe that it's worth reporting...you would just get opinions...
    I understand that RooDawg. And for journalist, that is probably the way they think. The KDH is a small, hometown newspaper and I would like to see articles about kids, coaches and interesting stories about happenings in the program. For instance, I think the Roos have some really good players coming back this year. The runningbacks are loaded and to talk about each one would be interesting to me or Coach Mullins having been so successful in his career and he is shaping the Knights into a state caliber team, or the great expectations that are surrounding the 'Greywolves and how about what it is going to take to restore the mighty Eagles to the power of Robert Walker's era. I don't know. I just like to see positive stories about our players, coaches and teams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps the 'turmoil' that plagued the KDH's news department recently has widened or engulfed the sports department. The newbies don't know enough about the Killeen area to be able to figure out what to write about.
    Or maybe the editors are sleeping again...
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    KDH will have a BIG football preview coming out on the Thursday...that's when you will get most of those interesting stories about the teams.

11. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What was the turmoil? I do understand about the football preview. Again though, I am talking about day to day coverage. I would think flooding the community with good positive stories would sell lots of papers. I know many people who have stopped their subscribtions because of the lack of local coverage. Plus the writers seem to be inexperienced.

13. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The KDH had nothing, but Cove's paper, The Leader-Press, had the following on the Dawgs' scrimmage with Abilene in their Tuesday edition:
    http://www.etypeservices.com/SWF/Loc...4914#/6/zoomed

For those not wanting to read it, the Dawgs beat Abilene in the timed, one quarter scrimmage, 7-3. Abilene is one of the best teams in the state.
    Guess all you Dawg naysayers will have to wait another year.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast